Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Steam & Excursion > No Steam at IRM for 2006

Date: 01/09/06 11:26
No Steam at IRM for 2006
Author: SteveC

I received my latest copy of Rail & Wire from the Illinois Railway Museum this weekend, I see that they state that there will again be no steam for this year. Too bad. The last time I was in their steam shop, the UP 428 was looking very close to being ready to fire up for a test. Does anyone know what may be up? The long standing regular steam there, Frisco 2-10-0 1630 has been down for the last two years waiting running gear work. The had completed the requirements for the new FRA regs in 2002 for her I think, but with Mid-Continent, and IRM both steamless, if anyone has any extra $, both of these fine museums need help.
Thanks
Steve

Date: 01/09/06 13:08
Re: No Steam at IRM for 2006
Author: photoguy24141

thats too bad,but only reason i want to go there is to see the norfolk and western Y-3 . i want to get some good pics of it. how often they pull it oudoors for display? anyone have recent pics of it? http://www.danhudsonphoto.com

Date: 01/10/06 15:36
Re: No Steam at IRM for 2006
Author: burlingtonjohn

A few years ago, Q-GP30 and I made the road trip to Union (a MUST visit for any fan of the CB&Q) with the intent of seeing/riding the Nebraska Zephyr.

The weekend happened to be the one where it seemed like anything that could move, did.

As we were paying for our tickets, the gentleman asked if we were there to see the steamer (1630 was operating). He must have thought we were nuts when we told him all we wanted to see was the Nebraska Zephyr and the 9911!

I think I took maybe two pictures of the 1630 and probably two rolls of 9911 and the NZ!

Operating steam or not, Union is IMHO one of the finest museums out there and a must visit for anyone who can get there.

Regards,
Burlington John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0287 seconds