Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Steam & Excursion > Yreka Western 19 ran yesterday

Date: 05/28/06 21:22
Yreka Western 19 ran yesterday
Author: Nitehostler

I just got off the phone with a friend who said he was on Yreka Western's 2-8-2 19 yesterday when she ran light engine from Yreka to about a mile out of Montague & back. This contrasts with info here on 4-25-06 saying that she would not likely run again this year & not at Yreka.
The locomotive had a pair of whistles...her usual SP 6 chime & a loaned 5" plain.

Tom

Date: 05/28/06 22:16
Re: Yreka Western 19 ran yesterday
Author: MarinCommuter

Does that mean the Blue Spruce tourist line is still operating? If so, with or without steam?

Date: 05/28/06 22:48
Author: Steam2k

Tom, thanks for the updates and clearing up that rumor. Just glad to hear another steam locomotive in northern california is operating. Is that your hooter on the 19?

Date: 05/29/06 07:19

I'm not going to pretend to know all that's going on up there. There is a lot of uncertainty & maybe legal woes, but I was told that they do plan to start the tourist season soon, if it hasn't already started. As to 19, she may stay & she may not.
I got my info from the guys that turn the wrenches.

Tom

PS Yes, that was my hooter, the same one that was on Hillcrest Lbr. Co Climax 10 back on January 21st @ Mineral, WA.

Date: 05/29/06 10:08
Author: Macster

That was an awesome whistle on that gal too =)

Brian

Date: 05/29/06 17:34
Author: odub

Wasn't in town on Saturday, so I didn't hear a thing. I headed over to the station when I read this thread. Nothing going on today. 244 looks nice, though.

Don Hall
Yreka, CA

Date: 05/30/06 05:37
Author: drew1946

Nitehostler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just got off the phone with a friend who said he
> was on Yreka Western's 2-8-2 19 yesterday when she
> ran light engine from Yreka to about a mile out of
> Montague & back. This contrasts with info here on
> 4-25-06 saying that she would not likely run again
> this year & not at Yreka.
> The locomotive had a pair of whistles...her usual
> SP 6 chime & a loaned 5" plain.
>
> Tom

Does this mean the Oracle at Bend MIGHT be mistaken?

Date: 05/30/06 06:12
Author: LOGGERHOGGER

It's been known to happen. I'm glad to see the steamer is actually running again. This surprised the actual owner of the railroad and the FRA. Now stay tuned to see what hapens to her in the near future.

Martin

Date: 05/30/06 07:06

The operation up there has lived a tenuous existence for many years...clear back to the days when they leased steam locomotives from the SP. Willis Kyle offered me a job 30 years ago & I'm glad that I didn't quit Std. Oil & take it.

Tom

Date: 05/30/06 07:34
Author: LOGGERHOGGER

The current operator has taken the problems to a new extreme. The recievership and other legal issues have created quite a debt load. The current operator does not seem bothered by the fact that the passenger equipment itself is for sale simply due to non-payment of rent. Part was shipped out last year for this very problem.

Martin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0324 seconds