Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Steam & Excursion > 4-8-4 C&O Greenbrier

Date: 02/24/07 22:28
4-8-4 C&O Greenbrier
Author: Alexmarissa

What is the status of the 4-8-4 C&O Greenbrier that ran steam excusions in the 1980's? I think it was No. 614. I heard the millionaire that owns it (Ross Rowland?) had it up for sale? Where is it and what is its condition? Thank you in advance for any info you can give.

Date: 02/25/07 00:06
Re: 4-8-4 C&O Greenbrier
Author: tenthovi

Yes you are thinking of C&O 614. It ran in the early 80's on the Chessie Saftey Express, then the ACE 3000 project in the mid 80's. 1985 I think. Then in 1996 and several consectutive years afterwards it operated a series of excurisons between Hooboken, NJ to Port Jervis, NY. The engine was original put up for sale in 2000 but not bidders wanted to pay the amount at the time.

It is still owned by Ross Rowland and is currently stored in PA on a shortline. There is some talk of running the engine again in the near future for a series of what is being called the "Yellow Ribbon Express". HOwever no serious work has been done to the engine. Just preventative maintenance mostly. 614 will require a complete overhaul/boiler inspection/rebuild in accordance with the new FRA regs for steam locomotives that went into affect a few years ago.

For more info on 614 got the site that Ross Rowland has set up at:
http://www.co614.com

Hope some of that info helps.

Chris Edward

Date: 02/25/07 07:21
Author: Alexmarissa

Chris:
Thanks for all the information. I wish the Federal Gov't would buy it, fix it up and keep it at Steamtown for all of us and our kids to see it.

Date: 02/25/07 10:58
Author: bioyans

Alexmarissa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chris:
> Thanks for all the information. I wish the
> Federal Gov't would buy it, fix it up and keep it
> at Steamtown for all of us and our kids to see it.

Wow ... talk about someone trying to give Ross a coronary.

Date: 02/25/07 12:37
Author: tenthovi

I know recently there has also been talk on here of it being moved to Clifton Forge for display the C&O Historical Society. It would be more at home if the engine went to Clifton Forge than Steam Town. Any ways Steam Town has their hands full with all the stuff they have right now.

Date: 02/25/07 13:04
Author: m1bprr

#1 614 Hibernating at Port Clinton, PA.
#2 In action at Hyndmen, PA. on the Chessie Keystone sub.

Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 02/25/07 14:00
Author: Guitarman

Alexmarissa Wrote:
> Chris:

This engine does NOT belong in Steamtown. They have way too many locomotives stored there now and I think most of us are hoping that the 614 will be operated again in the not too distant future (before we all get too old to care). Having ridden with this engine in the past and knowing the history, I feel that somehow, in some way, this engine needs to be operated on a mainline once again so that the younger generation can see what Real Railroading is all about-how our country was built. We have not had any mainline steam excursions in the Maryland, Pennsylvania and D.C. area since the Norfolk Southern finished their trips in the early 90's. Now is the time for it to happen once again!

Date: 02/25/07 15:08
Author: prr4828

Even if it *were* restored, I suspect it's too long for Steamtown's turntable.

* JB *

Alexmarissa Wrote:
> Chris:

Date: 03/02/07 11:05
Author: train4657

If Steamtown were to get 614, I don't think they have the funds to finish the work needed. Would be nice to see her run again!!

John M

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds