Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Steam & Excursion > B&O Iron Horse Days, August 1964

Date: 09/25/08 23:32
B&O Iron Horse Days, August 1964
Author: Hipshot

While digging for something else, I discovered these long forgotten photographs of a long ago fan trip: B&O's Iron Horse Days of August 1964, featuring Reading's famous 4-8-4 T-1 #2100. I rode from Wilmington, DE, to Baltimore, MD, and back. The crowds were quite large whether on the train, along the way and at the stations. B&O's Wilmington passenger station had been closed for years and what was left of the platforms were pretty well broken up. Nevertheless, people were there to ride and to watch.

#1) B&O's Wilmington station looking south.

#2) 2100 arriving at Wilmington from Philadelphia.

#3) En route to Baltimore. Note photographer under the tree on the left.

Date: 09/25/08 23:40
Re: B&O Iron Horse Days, August 1964

More pictures.

4#) Another shot out the side as the train follows the Fall Line through Maryland.

5#) Camden Station, Baltimore, MD.

6#) Picture of the Brass at Camden Station.

Date: 09/25/08 23:47

Three more.

#7) Upon further reflection, this looks like Washington Union Station. Too many years! Could we have gone on down to Washington to turn the train?

#8) Film at eleven!

#9) Departing Wilmington back to Philadelphia

Date: 09/26/08 08:58
Author: I5464J3

I was on that trip also. It was a big adventure for me because I was all by myself and I was only 13!. (Dad gave me permission and the money but I think Mom had a thing to say!) Sadly, I didn't have a camera so no pics. It was a fantastic ride! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 09/26/08 18:51
Author: Tominde

I wasn't on that trip, but I watched it go through Newark, DE and somewhere I have some bad 8mm movies of it steaming by. I recall it making good speed, more of a roar than chug chug chug.

Thanks for posting. That's a great shot of remains of old Wilmington Station.

Tom

Date: 09/28/08 19:45
Author: Rdg170

A great weekend! I was in the first open window coach (third car in the consist) both ways between Philly and Baltimore. Trip to D.C. was crowded as they ran as a regular B&O Baltimore to D.C. train. Between Balt. and D.C was my fastest ride ever behind a T-1.. Also my first visit to B&O RR Museum and the Smithsonian to see the SR 1401. Rode with my grandparents and my great-uncle who had at one time worked for the Reading. Left a black ring around the bath tub in the Dodge House, in D.C., on Saturday night. My uncle made me clean it up. Train was made up of Reading coaches plus B&O air conditioned coach, diner, observation and a dome for part of the trip.

Doug Rowland
Philadelphia, PA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds