Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Steam & Excursion > Big Steam treks in 2009?

Date: 12/04/08 17:37
Big Steam treks in 2009?
Author: UP9000

I know its very early, and there is probably little to no information about any trips right now. But is there any rumors or plans for any big steam locomotives to run in 2009? West of the Mississippi. With the first of the year coming up, vacation requests from the employer are coming soon. Mainly interested in SP 4449, SP&S 700, The UP Duo, the IAIS QJ's, ATSF 3751, or the PM 1225.

Thanks for any info!

Best Regards and Happy Holidays!

Jamie Miller

Date: 12/04/08 17:47
Re: Big Steam treks in 2009?
Author: cblaz

Michigan will be the go-to place this year, headlined by TrainFestival 2009 (July 24-26), of which PM 1225 and NKP 765 are already slated to attend, with a few more surprises in store.

During the QJ freight run in October, rumors were swirling that owner Henry Posner wanted to repeat the event in '09, with even more tonnage.

"Steam on the Range," the annual NRHS convention, will be held August 11-16 in Duluth, MN. With Soo 2719 based in Duluth and a certain Milwaukee Road 4-8-4 not too far away, could be a promising convention for steam lovers.

John McIvor's great Steam Train Diary site, www.diary.svsfilm.com, is one of my go-to sources for steam news.

Hope this helps.

- Chris

Date: 12/04/08 18:23
Author: Keystone1

I don't want to be a kill joy...but can anyone come up with a N E W engine, that hasn't been around for a while, and photographed by all for years and years? I think it is time to build a New York Central Hudson... something NEW at least.

Date: 12/04/08 18:27
Author: Grande-Fan

There is a Santa Fe 4-6-2 alive and well in Kansas this week.
Nathan Z.

Date: 12/04/08 18:39
Author: nathansixchime

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't want to be a kill joy...but can anyone
> come up with a N E W engine, that hasn't been
> around for a while, and photographed by all for
> years and years? I think it is time to build a
> New York Central Hudson... something NEW at
> least.

Dude, Keystone, you need to find some new notes to play on your busted little instrument. It's a tired bloody song you've been playing. Apparently the only joy you're apt to killing is your own; if it ain't like it was when you were in your highwaters, it apparently ain't worth spit.

Grab a wrench, boy and get to work on that new 'choo of yours and we'll be waiting with our cameras ready! Then listen to all the hunyacks malign your time and effort spent on your silly newfangled steam engine while there are dozens of others to chase and play with...or see ya in Michigan, say next July?

Date: 12/04/08 19:46
Author: firefighter25dfd

Amen Kelly! You gotta love them.

Date: 12/04/08 20:33
Author: RuleG

Keystone1 Wrote:
> least.

All you have to do is go to Erie, PA and you can be the first one on your block with photos of the latest NEW General Electric locomotive!

:)

Date: 12/04/08 20:55
Author: RuleG

A bit off the beaten path, but here's a 2009 schedule for the Alberta Prairie Steam Train which has a few trips using CN 6060, a 4-8-2.

http://www.absteamtrain.com/schedule.html

Date: 12/05/08 04:42
Author: TimBo611

Keystone1 Wrote:
> least.

PLEASE - repeat this exact comment in one of the steam locomotive shops around the country while the workers all have large heavy objects in their hands.

I'm sorry, but I sincerely hope you're either kidding or senile. I don't think you're going to find too much sympathy from all of those people who work hard keeping steam alive since the "novelty" of currently running steam has apparently worn off for you. Here's a real revalation, Mr. Keystone: photographers aren't the only reason a locomotive is restored! In fact, all the beautiful pictures done by people here and elsewhere are usually, photo specials aside, a wonderful by-prouduct. Sheesh.

Date: 12/05/08 04:58
Author: Keystone1

Ok, Ok, ... check out my new thread above.

Date: 12/05/08 07:55
Author: Got_Steam

Gosh, I'm even more thrilled to see the same old steamers up and running year after year. To me that shows a commitment to preservation, history, etc... unlike some big Arizona tourist lines that drop steam whenever it seems inconvenient.

Date: 12/06/08 03:25
Author: bxa1

a tripleheader with the MILW 261, SOO 2719, and SOO 1003 on the canadian pacific from minneapolis to lacrosse, wi would be sweet

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0555 seconds