Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Steam & Excursion > Terminal Check Valve?

Date: 12/07/08 10:09
Terminal Check Valve?
Author: DaylightGS-4

Here is an image of a Terminal Check Valve found on the UP #4466 on display in the CSRM Sacramento. This is a rather common type of check valve used on most steam locomotives with mechanical lubrication to the pistons, valves, and other various points of lubrication. This same style of terminal check can be found on the SP #2467 and the SP #4460 in St. Louis. This indicates it must have been one of the Common Standard parts on most modern SP steam.

While not a very large device, it was important as a part of the cylinder lubrication system. Many times such small items go completely unnoticed as we are always looking at the bigger picture around a steamer. Just too many things more interesting to look at.

Do anyone out there that know what supplier or manufacturer made this style of terminal check valve?

Was the same model also used on the SP #4449?

I am planning on a lost wax casting of this detail part for my GS-4 in 1.5 scale and am sure others will be interested in the production pieces. I would like to know who made the original as they will be asking.

Date: 12/07/08 10:21
Re: Terminal Check Valve?
Author: LIL_BUDDY

Made by Nathan.

Date: 12/07/08 13:49
Author: delrio

Here is the best drawings I could find in the 1930 Locomotive Cycolepida. I did not find a detailed description for this valve.

Jerry

Date: 12/07/08 16:17
Author: AdamPhillips

4449 is running today as well as Fri, Sat, and Sun next week for their annual holiday train. Maybe someone can run down there and check to see if it has the same terminal check valves. I'll bet it does. I was down in Portland Friday to check it out but couldn't find my camera (looked all over the house..left it in the wife's truck) so I stopped at Wal Mart in Vancouver (WA) and got the cheapest digital camera they had. This is about the best photo I got all day, but it doesn't have enough detail to see above the valves.

Date: 12/08/08 08:30
Author: RealSteam

DaylightGS-4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is an image of a Terminal Check Valve found
> on the UP #4466 on display in the CSRM Sacramento.
> This is a rather common type of check valve used
> on most steam locomotives with mechanical
> lubrication to the pistons, valves, and other
> various points of lubrication. This same style of
> terminal check can be found on the SP #2467 and
> the SP #4460 in St. Louis. This indicates it must
> have been one of the Common Standard parts on most
> modern SP steam.
>
> While not a very large device, it was important as
> a part of the cylinder lubrication system. Many
> times such small items go completely unnoticed as
> we are always looking at the bigger picture around
> a steamer. Just too many things more interesting
> to look at.
>
> Do anyone out there that know what supplier or
> manufacturer made this style of terminal check
> valve?
>
> Was the same model also used on the SP #4449?
>
> I am planning on a lost wax casting of this detail
> part for my GS-4 in 1.5 scale and am sure others
> will be interested in the production pieces. I
> would like to know who made the original as they
> will be asking.

Nathan DA terminal check valve...found on almost all steam locomotives

Date: 12/10/08 09:00
Author: 4-12-2

Darn, somebody beat me to it. Yup, Nathan Type DA. You still see a lot of engines with the earlier Type D, too.

Date: 12/13/08 17:14
Author: DaylightGS-4

Thanks to all you fine members for your contributions to this bit of research ans sharing of knowledge. My terminal check valve now has a manufacturer and a model which is a big help in further research.

The idea of an earlier terminal check called a model D is also interesting as SP did use a different style in earlier years before the DA became the terminal check of choice.

Anyone out there with information on the Nathan Model D terminal check?

Robert

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0458 seconds