Home Open Account Help 210 users online

Steam & Excursion > Oregon Coast Scenic Ry Going Strong! Not Abandoned!!

Date: 12/03/09 18:24
Oregon Coast Scenic Ry Going Strong! Not Abandoned!!
Author: LoggerHogger

I need to set the record straight given the posts on the POTB notice of "abandonment" of common carrier status for the line from Cochran to Tillamook. This will be a good thing for OCSRR.

As many of you know, Oregon Coast Scenic RR is one of the lines that I work with closely. Rest assured, this action by the POTB will not adversely affect the on going operations and expansion of the OCRSRR.

Please look at the notice. This is a "discontinuance of service" notice and not an Abandonment of all rail service notice. There is a big difference. This notice will actuall help OCSRR by relieving them of certain testing requiremnts. OCSRR worked directly with POTB in crafting this notice.

The steam operation will continue as before and the expansion plans of a restoration shop in Tillamook are underway. This notice simply removed the common carrier status for the line damaged in the December 2007 flood. It does not mean the line will be scrapped. To the contrary, the line is opeational up to Salmonberry.

OCSRR is still adding to thier fleet of passenger cars and the Skookum will be running on the OCSRR when the re-build is done shortly.

While the POTB needed to remove the common carrier status for the insular portion of the railroad, they are not scrapping the line and the OCSRR will continue to run and expand.

Here is their web site: http://ocsr.net/

Martin

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/09 07:52 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/03/09 19:12
Re: Oregon Coast Scenic Ry Going Strong! Not Abandoned
Author: DNRY122

That's good news--my wife and I stayed at the Old Mill campground a few years ago. I got a ride behind the Heisler to Rockaway Beach and we had a Blues show at the campground the night before. Two of my major interests in one spot.
To paraphrase The Ramones "Rock rock, Rockaway Beach, Rock rock Rockaway Beach/You can ride a train to Rockaway Beach". Of course they were referring to the beach on Long Island, but let's not let geography spoil our fun.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0411 seconds