Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Steam & Excursion > Lynn Nystrom passes away

Date: 05/06/10 05:26
Lynn Nystrom passes away
Author: johnacraft

http://twitter.com/UP_Steam/statuses/13484155631

"UP Steam Crew engineer Lynn Nystrom suddenly passed away last night. Keep his family and friends in your thoughts. He will truly be missed."

Condolences to Lynn's family, friends, and fellow crew members.

Date: 05/06/10 05:38
Re: Lynn Nystrom passes away
Author: GoldenState

Wow!....

I'm completely blown away. I talked with him in Oakland last year and he seemed to be in good health and great shape. He even toyed around with my kids in the Sherman Hill. I thought he was a real nice guy.

He will be in our thoughts on this sad day.

Rob Ireland
Fremont, Ca

Date: 05/06/10 05:47
Author: doubleheader

Sad indeed. He will be missed.
Greg Scholl

Date: 05/06/10 07:32
Author: GCRY_4960

Wow, very sad to hear. He will be missed.

Date: 05/06/10 08:19
Author: Consol

Sad News. A great guy who will be missed by all who knew him.
My condolences to Mary and the family.

Date: 05/06/10 08:52
Author: cozephyr

Lynn was a fine UP steam program ambassador that will be sorely missed. I remember him at the Democratic National Convention held in Denver, CO, where he always had a warm smile. He will be greatly missed by one and all.

Date: 05/06/10 09:19
Author: patd3985

I'm sorry to hear. I didn't personally know the man, but my best to his friends and family.

Date: 05/06/10 09:50
Author: arkansasrailroader

Really sad. He was a staple of UP steam and always a joy to talk to. You could tell he loved his job.

Does anybody know the cause of death?

Ken Z

Date: 05/06/10 09:51
Author: SandingValve

Another legend travels on the 'Indian Valley Line'...

High Greens and Lined Up, Lynn... You own the road...

SV

Date: 05/06/10 09:56
Author: EdSelinsky

arkansasrailroader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Really sad. He was a staple of UP steam and always
> a joy to talk to. You could tell he loved his job.
>
>
> Does anybody know the cause of death?
>
> Ken Z

Bob Krieger's post says a "massive coronary"

Date: 05/06/10 14:30
Author: 1003-2719-1385-engr

Wasn't he just out with the 844 recently?

Date: 05/06/10 15:05
Author: grande473

Lynn showed my brothers and me around the Cheyenne roundhouse in February. Here he is with the 3985. He was talking about approaching retirement age.

Date: 05/06/10 15:54
Author: Frisco1522

That's why I tell everyone that the minute they are able to retire DO IT! Of course not everyone enjoyed their job like Lynn. That's valuable in today's world. Most people put in their hours and haul ass to get out of the place at quitting time.

Date: 05/06/10 16:08
Lynn
Author: Bob3985

Lynn's funeral service will be Monday May 10th at 10 am at the Schrades Funerla Home, 2323 Carey Avenue Cheyenne Wy 82001.
Bob Krieger

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/06/10 16:32
Re: Lynn
Author: HotWater

Frisco1522,

Lynn and I discussed "retirement" many times. I told him more than once, why retire when your job is also your hobby. When your job ceases to be fun, THAT is the time to retire.

When my "regular job" ceased to be fun and the traveling simply became too much, I retired. I will not, however retire from steam!

Date: 05/06/10 19:00
Author: Frisco1522

Good point Jack. I worked at a place for 27 years and I would estimate 24 of those years I enjoyed getting up and going to work. I left there and went to another job for the last ten years I worked and hated every freakin day of it, but at my age I couldn't be choosy. If you were 62 and had ten years in, you could retire, take your "pension" and the company would pay your medical insurance until you were 65 and pay for your wife's until she hit sixty five. I retired with ten years and one day and haven't looked back since.
My ex boss at the first job said we had something for years that many people never have for one day.

Date: 05/06/10 21:57
Author: Got_Steam

I'm deeply saddened to hear this. Here's my story...

It was late one night and a good buddy of mine were done with work and headed over to the yard in Cheyenne. We noticed a light on in the roundhouse and poked our heads in when an arm waved us in from the caboose parked inside. It was Lynn. After the meeting, he personally toured us through the backshop. 844 was hollow from smokebox to firebox. 3985 was in too. At the time the front engine was having some type of tire wear issue and all 6 tires had been turned down a half inch or so. He mentioned the horrible racket the locomotive made as the two engines were constantly going in and out of cadence due to the odd driver size. He then fired up one of the prime movers on the DD40X and blew a few false ceiling tiles loose! I will never forget him, his willingness to educate and share and the positive impact he made upon us two strangers.

May God bless him and his family.

Rob
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 05/07/10 09:40

Here's a photo of Lynn in the cab of 844 when it left Kingsville, Texas April 14, 2010.

Date: 05/07/10 19:31

Here's Lynn's obit and memorial requests direct from the funeral home:

http://www.schraderfuneral.com/html/obits/obituaries.asp?listing_id=154160

Date: 05/08/10 06:52
Author: VERNON1946

Lynn (Nystrom) became my friend! April 26, 2010'. During their (second) stop, at Historic Union Station, in Kansas City, Mo. Just very near the end of their April 2 thru April 29 Excursion.

My heart goes out to all his friends, here on Train Orders.

We will all miss him dearly.

VERNON HARRISON
LA TOUR, MISSOURI

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0472 seconds