Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Steam & Excursion > Fillmore and Western with McCloud River #18

Date: 06/13/10 21:57
Fillmore and Western with McCloud River #18
Author: webmaster

It seems that everyone beat us to posting of the former McCloud River Railway #18 running on the Fillmore and Western Railway today. I have to say that after seeing this engine working I am so sorry I we did not ride. The locomotive put on a fantastic performance. I just did not feel like spending my afternoon in Santa Paula.

As some of you may know the train was trucked down to Santa Paula for a circus themed movie being filmed on the Fillmore & Western in Piru. Its movie work was completed and the railroad ran the steam locomotive on one of its regularly scheduled excursion trains to Santa Paula so it could be loaded onto a truck for its trip back home.

I had not been out chasing the Fillmore & Western in at least 15 years. Chasing was easy as the train walked along at around 10 mph. It may have been faster, but it seemed pretty slow. I captured it in HD video at several places. It was tough shooting this train as it was noon in June, and the sun pretty much hung overhead. I did open the iris up a bit so the running gear can be seen. At one point you’ll see me doing some brush clearance in preparation for a shot of the train crossing a neat graffiti free bridge. The video is in 720p30 HD so it may not play on some computers. If your computer is older I suggest downloading it and playing it in Quicktime or some other stand alone video player.

As I see by looking at the site there were other Trainorders.com members out in about. In fact I am in at least one shot I saw in Santa Paula.

While I was shooting Mason was busy snapping off photos of everything. Rather than showing you the ones suitable for framing, I thought I would share the more interesting ones.

These first two images show the circus set in Piru. Security was pretty tight, but we were able to capture these photos from the public road.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/13/10 22:07
Re: Fillmore and Western with McCloud River #18

These two shots are kind of humorous. Number 18 is part of a new breed of genset steam locomotives. It was retrofitted with a Honda generator to run a pair of traction motors that drive the running gear when Southern California AQMD (air pollution police) is in the area.

The first shot shows it being hidden by the black drape.
Second shot validates my hypothesis :)

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 06/13/10 22:08

Image 1: This me shooting from the road of the train crossing Sespe Creek. During huge rain events this wash can fill up.

Image 2: I always like the spectator action shots. Here some guy looks to be running for his life. I am not sure what was going on here as he is missing the action. The other guy looks to be enjoying the moment.

Image 3: Never fails, there is always some jackass who has to park his car in front of everyone. Rather than ask him to move I just moved my tripod in front of his car. I overheard the old guy in the photo ask him to move which the guy refused. The guy remained in his car while his railfan son was out taking pictures. If you read this kid, how about asking your dad to park out of the way next time like every other fan?

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 06/13/10 22:09

Finally, I like this shot as it reminds me of steam in a third world country with all the vegetation growing between the rails.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 06/13/10 22:19
Author: patd3985

webmaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Image 1: This me shooting from the road of the
> train crossing Sespe Creek. During huge rain
> events this wash can fill up.
>
> Image 2: I always like the spectator action
> shots. Here some guy looks to be running for his
> life. I am not sure what was going on here as he
> is missing the action. The other guy looks to be
> enjoying the moment.
>
> Image 3: Never fails, there is always some
> jackass who has to park his car in front of
> everyone. Rather than ask him to move I just moved
> my tripod in front of his car. I overheard the old
> guy in the photo ask him to move which the guy
> refused. The guy remained in his car while his
> railfan son was out taking pictures. If you read
> this kid, how about asking your dad to park out of
> the way next time like every other fan?

I think they're called Californicators! They're moving up here now, cuz they screwed it up down there! They have no idea what polite courtesy is about! ya outta see them at the various boat launches around here. Me,Me,Me, It's ALL about me!

Date: 06/14/10 00:25
Author: Harlock

Good stuff Todd. I'm still trying to figure out what the heck the fireman's up to on that bridge shot, safety's popping, injector overflowing steam (trying to make the safety calm down maybe, heh.) Makes for real pretty pictures though. Sure does have a lot of fire, and with that long train he needs it!

Looks like they've got some blow by on the left cylinder packing. Hope it's just a tune up job. That's one nice classic looking engine. If I wasn't on the last weeks of a live steam project I would have headed out there.

-M

Mike Massee
Mojave, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 06/14/10 00:50
Author: Got_Steam

They started moving to Arizona about 15 years ago and this place went to H-E-double-hockey sticks.

ANYWAY!!!

If the F&W an all-volunteer railroad? About how many miles is the track? Nice work on the video cam and thank the F&W for keeping steam alive in La La Land!

Rob
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 06/14/10 15:59
Author: Harlock

There are some paid staff, I know at least one person who's there taking over the restoration of #14..

-M

Mike Massee
Mojave, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2679 seconds