Current Page:1 of 4

Date: 06/15/10 09:46
734 Staying Home, CSX changes their mind
Author: bacsteam

Press Release
Western Maryland Steam Train unable to attend
June 15, 2010

For Immediate release

The West Virginia Rails 2010 committee would like to announce that steam locomotive no. 734 will not be able to attend the 100 year celebration of trains in Petersburg, WV. CSX railroad of Jacksonville, FL has declined to move the locomotive 10 miles to the South Branch Railroad from Cumberland, MD. After receiving tentative approval the first part of April, a decision was made that the steam locomotive can not be shipped on CSX rails.

Western Maryland Scenic Railroad will be sending GP-30 diesel locomotive in place of the steam locomotive. Passengers scheduled to ride behind no. 734 will be treated to an excursion behind vintage 1952 built streamlined Baltimore and Ohio diesel locomotive no. 722. Those passengers will also receive a voucher to be redeemed by the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad in Cumberland, MD for a ride behind the no. 734 at no additional charge.

The West Virginia Rails 2010 committee is disappointed by the decision of CSX but is committed to holding a great event in Petersburg, WV on June 25-27, 2010. The first steam locomotive, no. 17 will be arriving June 18th to Petersburg, WV from North Carolina. Steam locomotive no. 75 will arrive June 23 from Scranton, PA. The rest of the locomotives will arrive June 24.

Date: 06/15/10 09:52
Re: 734 Staying Home, So Am I
Author: Derecho

CSXT = Can Someone eXplain This?

Date: 06/15/10 10:11
Author: jcaestecker

Lawyers Rule (and risk management emerges victorious!).

Sad.

Date: 06/15/10 10:27
Author: imrl

This is an unfortunate turn of events. But why are you staying home? The historical railroad groups around the country need our support to survive. It's sad that the CSX has chosen not to ferry the engine the 10 miles for this event but this is beyond the control of the event organizers. They have gone beyond expectation to make it up to those that are attending. Please don't penalize the historical groups out there.

Date: 06/15/10 10:39
Author: Zephyr78

Wow, thats pretty much a big stab in the back, especially when the event is about almost a week away. Is there any reasons why CSX doesn't want to move the engine? Yes I know they're not so comfortable with steam excursions running on their mainline, but I don't think it wouldn't be a big hassle to have one of their units pull the 734 to the event thats only about 10 miles. Not like the New River Train with 765 at the head end on it's own. Just asking.

Luke

Date: 06/15/10 10:49
Author: 576

Knowing how CSX is anti-steam, part of me knew that this was going to happen. This news still came to me as a shock, after I was led to think that negotiations had finally allowed CSX to see the light, in that steam locomotion is not of pure evil. I have officially lost my respect for the people in Jacksonville.

On the plus side, I still consider 2nd generation as an admirable time in locomotive development. In fact, it could create a unique photo opportunity of a locomotive line up from the three railroads that led right up to merger of '68. I will still show my support to WVR and I will not let the absence of one steam engine stop me.

Date: 06/15/10 11:09
Author: superintendent

Homer Bedloe strikes again.

Date: 06/15/10 11:27
Author: Keystone1

Don't worry. When the management of CSX changes, so possibly will the feeling about steam locomotives. Same with the Norfolk Southern. It is the PEOPLE, not the railroad who are to blame. Remember, the 611, 1218, two Alleghenys and a few Kanawahs still exist. All it takes is New people and a change in feelings about PR. (Ask Ross about the 614 to start). Keystone1

Date: 06/15/10 11:27
Author: 2839Canadian

Another example of very poor planning for RailFest. They did not ask CSX to move WM Scenic
No. 734 to Greenspring until two weeks ago. How could they possibly advertise that the 734 would be powering trips at RailFest when they did not have a signed contrsct to move the engine to Greenspring in hand. What a blatant example of false advertising.

Date: 06/15/10 11:29
Author: Keystone1

Jason...start NOW working something up with JJJ. Doubleheaded NKP Berkshires on a coal train anyone? I'm IN!!!

Date: 06/15/10 11:37
Author: nathansixchime

seaboardc30-7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another example of very poor planning for
> RailFest. They did not ask CSX to move WM Scenic
>
> No. 734 to Greenspring until two weeks ago. How
> could they possibly advertise that the 734 would
> be powering trips at RailFest when they did not
> have a signed contrsct to move the engine to
> Greenspring in hand. What a blatant example of
> false advertising.

The 734 had been approved by the mechanical department for the move for quite some time.

I don't know what's worse -- sweeping generalizations ("another example of poor planning"), your misreading of the press release (agreement in the first part of April) or the fact you can't get the name right (RailFest.)

Date: 06/15/10 11:45
Author: firefighter25dfd

Amen Kelly!!!

Date: 06/15/10 12:25
Author: HotWater

Just because the Mechanical Department of ANY big class one railroad "approves" a piece of rolling stock (steam locomotive or other wise) for movement, does NOT mean that the Risk Management Dept., nor the Operating Dept., nor even the Executive Dept. has given their FINAL approval.

Been there, done THAT!

Date: 06/15/10 12:25
Author: andersonb109

There was also a private photo charter planned with the loco. I doubt any participants will come all that way to phot a diesel hauled train for two days. I know I won't. However for the general public, I doubt most care what their train is pulled by so hopefully there won't be too many cancellations. CSX apparently doesn't give a crap about the many hours spent organizing the charter and the travel arrangements made by the participants, many coming a long distance. Thank you CSX.

Date: 06/15/10 12:32
Author: 2839Canadian

They did NOT have a signed contract from CSX, so how could they in good faith have promoted this event as including the 734?

I just canceled all of the tickets and the motels for our group. I'm sure hundreds of other will do the same. Maybe the planners will learn from this goof.

CSX and NS do NOT like steam-most everyone knows this.

Date: 06/15/10 12:36
Author: ZachMarlow

seaboardc30-7 Wrote:
> CSX and NS do NOT like steam-most everyone knows
> this.

I think you should do a little research about NS "not liking steam", How do you think 765 got to Trainfest and North Judson,IN last year, and those moves were more than just a few miles...

Date: 06/15/10 12:39
Author: nathansixchime

I think if you had a dime for every railroad that signed actual documents/contracts for deadheads or ferry moves, you'd have ten cents.

Date: 06/15/10 12:46
Author: Zephyr78

Maybe they can try via tractor trailers. Or is that going to be way to difficult to attempt to do?

Luke

Date: 06/15/10 13:09
Author: sbarry

seaboardc30-7 Wrote:
> They did NOT have a signed contract from CSX, so
> how could they in good faith have promoted this
> event as including the 734?

The nature of the charter business is that a signed contract in your hands in a timely manner is almost impossible. Amtrak is one of the worst offenders. At some point you have to take a leap of faith and hope everything will work out, because having a signed contract in your hands well before you need to start promoting the event isn't going to happen.

Two examples: 1) There was a steam doubleheader in the Pacific Northwest a few years ago where the operator didn't know the steam locomotives had actually been approved by Amtrak until the contract showed up in the mail for signing 14 days before the trip; the contract listed the two locomotives as the power, and that was the first the group had heard that the locomotives could be used.

2) An Amtrak trip in California, using Amtrak coaches and locomotives, where the contract was signed in the station just prior to departure on the day of the trip.

When it comes to excursions like this, you simply have to go with your gut if things will work out or not, because it ain't going to be in writing until the last minute. Usually it works out. Every now and then, like this time, it doesn't. But usually if you wait until everything is signed you might have a couple of weeks (if you're lucky) to sell tickets.

Steve Barry
Railfan & Railroad

Date: 06/15/10 13:11
Author: trainrider47

Too bad CSX has such a tin ear for public relations. It looks like CSX has provided Don Phillips with material for another column!

Train Festival in Owosso was aided by NS/Ann Arbor/Great Lakes Central/Huron and Eastern working together to move the 765 and both BNSF and CN moving 4449. BNSF even did it gratis.

You can move a loco the size of Little River 110 on a flatbed truck, but 734 would require ultra specialized equipment and there might not even be a routing that would accommodate the height and weight requirements. Certainly nothing that could be worked out in less than the week that's left and definitely not at an affordable price.

Michael Allen

Current Page:1 of 4

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0696 seconds