Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Steam & Excursion > San Luis & Rio Grande quickie

Date: 07/01/10 19:08
San Luis & Rio Grande quickie
Author: highgreengraphics

Photo 1 - Steaming westward on June 19 is the SLRG passenger train from LaVeta, in the flats of the San Luis Valley five miles from Alamosa, with an ex-LS&I steamer in charge that I saw as a hulk of rust at Presque Isle in Marquette, MI in 1982 next to the LS&I main line in the weeds. Who would have thought?

Photo 2 - The same train at the depot in Alamosa.

Photo 3 - Kind of like a steam locomotive now, more steam locomotives than F-units now. SLRG's very modified F-unit from MBTA and Gettysburg Railroad sports an FT-style pilot and FT-style chrome headlight ring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/10 22:43 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 07/01/10 19:13
Re: San Luis & Rio Grande quickie

Just for fun, wouldn't these look nice in more appropriate territory such as this? At the Orange Empire Railroad Museum in Perris, CA a few days earlier, in D&RGW 4-stripe paint.

Happy railfanning! --- --- - --- JLH

Date: 07/01/10 19:38
Author: The_Chief_Way

how about the 1100 and the Slug Set?
Are they seeing use to Monte Vista and Antonito?

Date: 07/01/10 21:07
Author: Got_Steam

Thanks for sharing! Glad to see the 18 living the good life. What's the latest on the 1744?

Rob
Kenner, LA
Operation Deepwater Horizon Response

Date: 07/01/10 21:41
Author: xtra1188w

If picture #1 isn't tomorrow's potd, then it ought to be! All three of these pictures are mighty fine pictures, thanks for posting them.

Con

Date: 07/01/10 23:12
Author: NGotwalt

The F unit looks like the love child of a Rio Grande and Boston & Maine F unit one night stand. I've seen much much worse.
Cheers,
Nick

Date: 07/02/10 06:45
Author: 1372

1100's a beaut, and so's the 18! Nice jobs--thanks for showing. Kurt.

Date: 07/02/10 12:24
Author: Notch16

I drove along the weedy tracks almost fifteen years ago, imagining such a thing -- with not much hope. Well, to tell the truth, in my future-casting I never actually imagined such a classy operation. The F looks fantastic, the 18 does too. And I don't even mind the dome! It all works for me.

Date: 07/02/10 17:18
Author: nycman

HGG, your photography is an inspiration. What camera equipment are you using? Thanks.

Date: 07/03/10 10:20

Hi, thank you all for the nice compliments. No superfancy gear used, just a Nikon D-80 and two kit-type Nikkor lenses, shooting high JPEG, vivid, hand-held, and 40 years experience, mostly with film of course. The new kicker is Photoshop, but just the consumer variety and not the pro type. I have learned that for TO, one needs to oversharpen just a bit. Other than that, especially in Photoshop, just a lot of guesswork. I intend to upgrade to a D-90, but the old camera body just keeps plugging along, so I stick with it. Along with trial and error, I have to credit the great folks right here on TO who helped me through the scary digital transition! --- --- - --- JLH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0324 seconds