Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steamtown NHS: Farewell Tribute to CP #2317


Date: 07/02/10 08:32
Steamtown NHS: Farewell Tribute to CP #2317
Author: PennRailVideos

Penn Rail Videos caught some of the last runs of Canadian Pacific #2317, as she only has 2 more days left on her boiler time. She will be going into a 15-year rebuild come September 2010, and we wanted to pay our respects to the locomotive by getting some great footage of her on the 'Scranton Limited' train rides. We'll even take a ride in the cab, as engineer Seth and fireman Don Young put on a good show for all those trackside. So come along and climb aboard with us, as we spend the day with Canadian Pacific G3c #2317. Your last chance to see her will be at this year's Lackawanna Railfest, where she'll run out her last two days of boiler time.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!




Date: 07/03/10 12:29
Re: Steamtown NHS: Farewell Tribute to CP #2317
Author: mikecollins

Nicely done video. Almost as good as being there!

--Mike



Date: 07/03/10 21:30
Re: Steamtown NHS: Farewell Tribute to CP #2317
Author: RNinRVR

They expect to take 15 years to do a boiler rebuild? This sounds more like a nice way to say "I am gone now and maybe I will be stuffed and mounted somewhere".

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA



Date: 07/03/10 21:35
Re: Steamtown NHS: Farewell Tribute to CP #2317
Author: firefighter25dfd

RNinRVR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They expect to take 15 years to do a boiler
> rebuild? This sounds more like a nice way to say
> "I am gone now and maybe I will be stuffed and
> mounted somewhere".


It's not that it takes 15 years to rebuild the boiler. The FRA mandates that a locomotive goes through a rebuild every 15 years or 1472 service days, whichever come first. However, I have heard though that once the 2317 goes down she will become a display and all rebuilding efforts will go towards getting the B&M 3713 out on the road.



Date: 07/04/10 10:49
Re: Steamtown NHS: Farewell Tribute to CP #2317
Author: arrow611

firefighter25dfd wrote:
---------------------------
> It's not that it takes 15 years to rebuild the boiler. The FRA mandates that a locomotive goes
> through a rebuild every 15 years or 1472 service days, whichever come first. However, I have heard
> though that once the 2317 goes down she will become a display and all rebuilding efforts will
> go towards getting the B&M 3713 out on the road.


According to the Park Ranger on our tour of the Steamtown locomotive shops, immediate efforts will go toward returning to service 0-6-0 No. 26, former Baldwin Locomotive Works shop switcher. Once No. 26 returns to steam, work then will be concentrated on finishing the 3713. This all assumes that no unforeseen problems arise on Canadian National 2-8-2 No. 3254. Lets hope Mr. Murphy is too busy with his Gulf vacation to bother with Steamtown this year.

Ranger Bill Clark points to evidence that No.26 was involved in a "hard-coupling incident at sometime during its career.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/10 10:55 by arrow611.




Date: 07/04/10 11:16
Re: Steamtown NHS: Farewell Tribute to CP #2317
Author: patd3985

Good! Now maybe we can see some B&M Yankee steam up yonder! (No offense to our northern neighbors.)



Date: 07/05/10 08:09
Re: Steamtown NHS: Farewell Tribute to CP #2317
Author: yankee15

Although you are indeed correct about 15 years or 1472 days being the term between rebuilds, this is Steamtown we're talking about.

15 years to accomplish a rebuild may be wildly optimistic when you consider how things have gone there in the past.


firefighter25dfd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RNinRVR Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They expect to take 15 years to do a boiler
> > rebuild? This sounds more like a nice way to
> say
> > "I am gone now and maybe I will be stuffed and
> > mounted somewhere".
>
>
> It's not that it takes 15 years to rebuild the
> boiler. The FRA mandates that a locomotive goes
> through a rebuild every 15 years or 1472 service
> days, whichever come first. However, I have heard
> though that once the 2317 goes down she will
> become a display and all rebuilding efforts will
> go towards getting the B&M 3713 out on the road.



[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.108 seconds