Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Steam & Excursion > Portland Rose Pendleton Centennial Special.

Date: 07/29/10 20:40
Portland Rose Pendleton Centennial Special.
Author: java19

Does anyone know the secret to getting hold of tickets to ride this train ??? My U.P. friends here tell me people will be riding on it and that the tickets are pricy. But how does one go about buying them ?? Have been told it is all about who you know with U.P. Or does one have to be invited to buy a ticket, if anyone knows who to contact. Would love to know. Thanks all.

Date: 07/30/10 07:26
Re: Portland Rose Pendleton Centennial Special.
Author: HotWater

Since the "Pendelton Roundup Special" is not really an excursion, I seriously doubt that UP will be "selling tickets". The passengers on such moves are generally always invited guests.

Date: 07/30/10 07:40

I suspect your probably right. I think it is such a shame that this train sometimes is just plain empty. When 844 came through here headed for Portland to meet 4449 for the double heading, it appeared empty. What a waste on U.P.s part. Let people ride it, I for one one buy tickets in a heartbeat. However it did stop in Pendleton to pick up people from the city councel and other (important people).

Date: 07/30/10 07:54

Well Java, There are are few facts you are overlooking:

1) Ever since the U.S. Government "chartered" Amtrak, it has been against federal law for ANY class 1 railroad to "sell tickets to the public", thus competing with Amtrak!

2) The yearly liability insurance policy premium is extremely high for UP to operate excursions, thus very few groups/organizations can afford to charter the UP passenger train and pay for their portion of UP's liability insurance. That is why there are so few "public excursions" (steam or diesel) on class 1 railroads anymore.

Date: 07/30/10 08:58
Author: dan

they usually sell tickets for fund raisers for 3rd party charities, the 3rd party usually sells the tickets

Date: 07/30/10 10:54
Author: amtrak8

And the selling of tickets is prohibited for a "regularly scheduled" passenger service. Not excursion type runs. But, like it was said, you can have a third party sell tickets, charity or not, if you wanted to have the notoriety.

Date: 07/30/10 15:01
Author: loco4501

You will not, in all probability, not be able to get them from UP. HOWEVER... there have been numerous instances in the last 5 years or so, of different groups that have tickets or rides available. Some of these may include:
1) Historical Societies (think the Portola group with 844 last year).
2) Civic groups (do you know the mayor? councilmen? dog catcher?)
3) Veterans groups (some of UP's Oklahoma trips a couple of years ago gave pro bono rides to military personnel at Ft. Sill; there may have been others).
Yes these are all long shots. I share your frustration in not being able to ride a train that would mean a lot to some of us; whereas some of the people who wil be on some of these same trips really don't give a rat$ @$$ one way or the other.

Date: 07/30/10 17:10

loco 4501, as a matter a fact I do know the Mayor and have been planning on going down to city hall to see him. He is well connected with U.P. here and is also their safty something here for this area. Have been told by another city council member that the mayor is the man to see to get on this train. I will probably never make it, but not for the lack of trying. Need to get on the Round Up board of Directors or elected to the city council to ride behind this steam locomotive. Cannot take the time to drive to the public runs.

Date: 07/30/10 17:28

java,

Since you are "trying to ride" this train, are you aware that the Pendleton Roundup special is departing Portland's UP Albina Yard, the morning of Thursday September 14 and operating directly to Pendleton? The 844 will then be "on display" Friday & Saturday Sept. 17 & 18, with a morning departure for Boise on Sept. 19.

If you are successful in obtaining permission to ride, you will probably have to go to Portland the evening prior (Wednesday Sept. 13), or have someone drive you to Portland VERY early the morning of the 14th.

Date: 07/30/10 18:33
Author: Southern-Pacific-fan

Stowaway

Date: 07/30/10 21:37
Author: jc76

Has this trip been officially handed the 844? Just curious since there is the 3985 circus train rumor...

Date: 07/31/10 00:36
Author: nickatnight

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> java,
>
> Since you are "trying to ride" this train, are you
> aware that the Pendleton Roundup special is
> departing Portland's UP Albina Yard, the morning
> of Thursday September 14 and operating directly to
> Pendleton?

Isnt Sept 14 a Tuesday ? Should that read Sept 16 ?

Nickatnight

Date: 07/31/10 05:36

OOPS!

Nick is correct, September 14th is indeed a Tuesday, so the trip from Portland to Pendleton will be on Thursday Sept. 16th. The display days at Pendleton are Friday and Saturday.

Also, yes the 844 is scheduled for this trip.

Date: 07/31/10 08:34

Thanks all, useful information. I already knew the date of run. But does anyone know what date the train will pass thru Pendleton on the way to Portland ? Cause if I fail at riding, I will certainly be chasing. I actually live in Pendleton and the display area is almost right in front of my house. Will be nice to be able to sit on my porch and see this locomotive as my view for a couple days.

Date: 07/31/10 14:10

Monday, September 13th, LaGrande to Hinkle. Tuesday. September 14, Hinkle to Portland.

Date: 07/31/10 21:57
Author: victortorgrimson

My 81 year old Father-n-Law lives a quarter mile from the Union Pacific line through Gooding, Idaho. The last time you went through there a couple years ago he heard the whistle from the house, recognized it was a steam engine whistle, and caught up with the engine for the thrill of his summer! Everytime we visit he talks about how wonderful it was seeing 844 coming through town, and he asks me if I know when it will come through again. You really do bring a thrill to a lot of people!
Do you know yet what days you'll be going through Idaho on your way out, and your way back? Maybe this time we'll go visit them as you go by so we can share the thrill with them!

Thanks,

Victor

Date: 08/01/10 06:34

Victor,

Keep watching the UP Steam web site ( www.upsteam.com ) and they will probably be showing the daily move schedule soon for the Pendleton trip.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0626 seconds