Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Steam & Excursion > .

Date: 12/27/10 14:21
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/21 23:46 by F40PHR231.

Date: 12/27/10 17:25
Re: Steam locomotive shop at Promontory
Author: RuleG

Great photos of a beautiful pair of locomotives.

F40PHR231 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> If any of you go to northern Utah, be sure to
> include this historic site as part of your travel
> plans. Even when the locomotives aren't running,
> the folks have done a great job restoring this
> site. It's a shame that the actual locomotives
> weren't preserved, and that the track was torn up.
> This is why we have a national historic register
> and other programs geared towards preserving
> history.
>
> Thanks for looking!

I completely agree with this advice. During a May 2004 visit to Salt Lake City, I rented a car to drive up to Promontory. In addition to having these two operating locomotives, what makes this place very special is the incredible lack of development near the site. One can look at the area surrounding the National Historic Site feel that it looks the same as it did in 1869.

Date: 12/27/10 20:18
Author: Digger

Hey Chris-

Thanks for sharing your shots from inside the shop. Unfortunately, on my visit three years ago, I did not find the staff as accommodating. My request to visit the shop area was declined. Nonetheless, it was still an awesome trip! Ev convinced me to pose for her as if I were hammering the Golden Spike ~ I think my favorite part of the trip was driving the old right-of-way in our Civic. Fortunately, they provide maps to explain which of the cuts were actually used, and which were the grading work that was never used. If I go again, I want to spend the day and take a truck to go explore more of the right-of-way. Glad you are having a good time, please give Laura my best.

-Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/10 16:45 by Digger.

Date: 12/27/10 20:31
Author: Steamjocky

According to a fellow engineer friend of mine who visited there recently, there is, or will be, a job opening for an engineer at this location very soon. He visited the site and the guy he talked to gave him that info. He also told me was literally out in the middle of nowhere.

JDE

Date: 12/27/10 21:25
Author: davew833

These are great pictures! I've never seen good pics of the inside of the steam shop. Interesting to note that Utah has two excellent standard-gauge steam shops (the other one's at Heber, UT) supporting multiple locomotives, that are both completely isolated from the main lines of the US rail network. Think of the fun if #119 or 'Jupiter' could get down to Ogden or somewhere where large numbers of people could easily see them!

Date: 12/27/10 23:06
Author: davew833

Another great pic, Chris! Looks like GW 2-8-0 #75 (stripped boiler in the back right) isn't exactly on the fast track back to operating condition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/10 17:08 by davew833.

Date: 12/28/10 08:45
Author: VERNON1946

Chris,

Thank You for the Beautiful Photos, and the information.

This is very Classic and Historic to know about!

For all, who have not learned the news, about this (related) event, that happened, in, the tenth day of May, Year 1869! When the rails were joined, east to west!

And also what is happening today!

Wonderful WORK=========================================

VERNON HARRISON
LA TOUR, MISSOURI

Date: 12/28/10 13:29
Author: nycman

Great coverage as usual, Chris!

Date: 12/28/10 16:23
Author: rehunn

The comment about out in the middle of nowhere is well taken and some days the drive to work would
be a real adventure. At least the road won't be closed any more for some of Thiokol's adventures.

Date: 12/29/10 01:49
Author: Harlock

I almost went on Tuesday for the snow run, but decided to return home to Southern California early as I had a lot of work to do and the weather was getting bad...next time....

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 12/29/10 20:47
Author: cchan006

rehunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The comment about out in the middle of nowhere is
> well taken and some days the drive to work would
> be a real adventure. At least the road won't be
> closed any more for some of Thiokol's adventures.

Thiokol was testing out a rocket when I visited Promontory in August. I saw a huge plume of smoke in the distance from Brigham City while driving toward "middle of nowhere." Unfortunately, didn't take a photo or a video. I did, however, see Central Pacific #60, the Jupiter later on:

http://www.trainorders.com/images2/view.php?476041

I first visited the Golden Spike National Monument in Christmas 2001. Everything was closed, and I got around with snow shoes after driving a Jeep out there near the park entrance. Nobody else was foolish enough to be out there, so I enjoyed the area all to myself.

Date: 12/30/10 07:48
Author: twin_star_rocket

Those rock cuts looks almost identical to the ones on the original route over Sherman Hill. This one is near Tie Siding.

Brian Ehni

Date: 01/02/11 10:25
Author: kklarr

Thanks Chris for sharing your pictures, as much as I have been there I still haven't been to there shops.

Kerry Klarr

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0543 seconds