Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Steam & Excursion > Nevada Northern Problems?

Date: 10/08/11 11:09
Nevada Northern Problems?
Author: andersonb109

I'm just back from Chama where I participated in a photo charter with a German group. The group had come in from Ely after two days on the Nevada Northern. Their visit was not without problems. Apparently, none of the older wood equipment including the two passenger cars were allowed out of the yard. This was not the case on my last visit in 2010. None of the group seemed to know exactly why this was the case. Language barrier perhaps. They were also not allowed to take their charter out onto the high-line. Again, something we did just last year. The railroad's web site shows wood equipment in photos promoting their two Winter photo shoots. Anyone care to comment or know why this situation has changed? Glad I got to visit three times prior. Photo from a winter shoot with a group from the U.K. in 2007 is attached. Our charter in Chama was also not without problems. The #484 failed the third day after giving poor performance the prior two resulting in cutting out cars to get up the hill and thus no mid-train helper on our final charter, run with lots of snow falling. Photo of the 494 was taken in the yard prior to its failure.

Date: 10/08/11 15:05
Re: Nevada Northern Problems?
Author: PERichardson

The 484 in the snow was worth the price of admission all by itself in my opinion.

Date: 10/08/11 19:02
Author: NormSchultze

As Ricki said "You got a lot of 'splaining to do"

Date: 10/09/11 00:24
Author: Harlock

The highline branch to the McGill smelter has been out of order starting at highline junction for quite some time now, since '08-ish. Needs track work. They have instead been running on the main line in the valley, and also on the Keystone branch up to the wye at the mine as usual, as of last winter at any rate. I really miss the highline branch due to the close proximity of the mountains and the cut and various fills. I think the priority is to finish opening up the main all the way to McGill now that the McGill depot has been beautifully restored, at least on the outside, the interior has some work to go. Then they can run excursions to and from McGill.

Haven't talked to anyone in a while so don't know what's up with the wood equipment, but I just sent an email to Mark. It's best to get the story from the horses' mouth.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/11 00:33 by Harlock.

Date: 10/09/11 12:18
Author: CaliforniaSteam

Please share with us what Mark replied in a e-mail back to you.

CS

Date: 10/09/11 19:28
Author: tomstp

What was the matter with the 484?

Date: 10/10/11 08:01
Author: YG

Hey that's a great shot of 484!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 10/10/11 13:59
FRA waiver?
Author: jbwest

I am told the NN needs an FRA waiver on its old equipment, which the FRA routinely grants. But the paper work needs to be done. Hopefully this will be taken care of in time for the winter photo shoots. I was going to sign up but will wait for some more info.

JBWX

Date: 10/10/11 16:18
Re: FRA waiver?
Author: Harlock

jbwest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am told the NN needs an FRA waiver on its old
> equipment, which the FRA routinely grants. But the
> paper work needs to be done. Hopefully this will
> be taken care of in time for the winter photo
> shoots. I was going to sign up but will wait for
> some more info.
>
> JBWX

This is correct. Mark got back to me with essentially the same information. FRA waivers are needed for any car over 50 years old. He has been working on the waivers for the past 18 months now and apparently it is not as simple as it may seem. Nothing has changed for the worse as far as FRA rules, but the waiver applications need to be completed. They will have as many cars as they can process available by the winter freights for Feb. The ballast hoppers have a waiver done and he is waiting on a ruling by the end of the month. The wood passenger cars are exempt, apparently so those are OK to go. I think that by the time Feb rolls around, most of the rolling stock we are used to seeing will be available, from the sounds of it.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 10/11/11 13:54
Author: trainrider47

Mike,

Sounds like Mark hasn't been aware of the work already done by the Strasburg in getting waivers. They have done all the hard legal work and you can use their prototype documents, just substituting the name of your railroad. We did that for SRI. Took me a couple of hours to modify the documents and proof them. The exhibit listing the equipment had to be done by the CMO and took longer.

That does require some work, but surely not 18 months for preparing the exhibit roster of equipment to fall under the waivers. This roster needs to list each car and the non conforming equipment, principally couplers, bolsters, trucks, journals and brake systems. Since the NN is isolated from any possible interchange and the NN has total control over the equipment, which will only be used on their line, the FRA should readily grant the waiver request. The only caveat is that any actual safety violations would need to be addressed. After this is done, an annual air brake test should be all that is required to continue to operate the cars for photo freight specials.

Passenger cars and cabooses are exempt and should have been available for the Germans. I wonder if Mark is doing this on his own and is not benefiting from help and understanding that could be offered by other groups?

I think Bruce is mis-remembering when he was last on the Adverse Branch (the High Line), since it has been out of service for at least three years. I don't think the line is any worse than it has been for years, just that the FRA finally took a close look at it. I've pointed out to Mark that the Adverse Branch could be classified as excepted trackage, which while not allowing passengers to be carried, would permit trains to run over it for photo charters. The participants would have to chase on the ground, but there are dirt two-tracks that parallel the entire line and are easily drivable with a rental car. Remember, the difference between a Jeep and a rental car is that a rental car can go anywhere! ;-)

Michael Allen

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/11 06:23 by trainrider47.

Date: 10/11/11 18:13
Author: DWBrown

Another US tour group was planning a steam charter this past month. Did they also have the same problems?

Dale Brown

Date: 10/20/11 08:09
Author: trainrider47

I just received some photos from a participant on the German tour and it appears the info in the initial post was not completely correct. The wooden passenger cars were used out on the line (the photos showed them up near Keystone). My friend was actually quite happy with the experience. The freight train did use the modern WSOR hopper cars, but made a good looking train and with both engines in service, this particular participant came away well pleased.

From what Mark has said, they are working on getting waivers for the older equipment, so with some luck, the equipment selection for the freight trains will be even better come February 2012.

If you have never been to the Nevada Northern, it's an experience not to be missed. Nearly 100% original equipment with a full terminal of original structures. I have a collection of slides taken in 1959 and you would be hard pressed to find many changes between then and today.

Michael Allen

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds