Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Steam & Excursion > Possible Restoration of NYC Mohawk 3001

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/17/11 16:30
Possible Restoration of NYC Mohawk 3001
Author: nycman

I was alerted to this article in the Elkhart, IN, newspaper today. It would be wonderful if this locomotive could be restored. Yeah, I know, where would it operate? I can think of a few places. I can't remember if Todd allows links or not, but here goes: http://www.etruth.com/article/20111017/NEWS01/710179973
If it doesn't show up, Google the Elkhart Truth (newspaper) and it's on the Front Page today, Monday, October 17.

Date: 10/17/11 16:44
Re: Possible Restoration of NYC Mohawk 3001
Author: 576

Here we go again...

Date: 10/17/11 17:12
Author: johnacraft

nycman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be wonderful if this locomotive could be restored.

With apologies to Steve Martin:

You . . . can perform . . .  a million dollar restoration on a New York Central Mohawk! You can perform a million dollar restoration 
on a New York Central Mohawk! You say to me "Steve . . . how can I perform a million dollar restoration on a New York Central Mohawk!" 

First . . . get a million dollars.  Next . . .

Date: 10/17/11 18:13
Author: burlingtonjohn

Dallas Texas, March 1983.

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 10/17/11 18:48
Author: nycman

John, your point is well taken, and there are a few people in Elkhart who are trying to raise that money. The few who care have fabricated the smoke lifters to install on the engine. Personally I like the way she looks without them, but they are trying to restore her to historically correct appearance. If I had a million, I'd give it to them. I don't.

Date: 10/17/11 18:56
Author: HotWater

Wonder how they will install PTS on her, IF they ever get her finished?

Date: 10/17/11 19:01
Author: wlankenau

I thought it looked like they were making smoke lifters in one photo on the newspaper website! The L3a's weren't built with them, and without the 'ears' it's really easy to imagine you're looking at a Hudson. I wish them well; it's a miracle that this locomotive is still with us in the first place, and it's a miracle that it got repatriated from Texas. Having it cosmetically restored with boiler jacketing and an accurate lettering job would be terrific, let alone getting the boiler hot again.

Date: 10/17/11 22:08
Author: kurtarmbruster

Wonderful indeed that this superb example of Central steam eluded the clueless Perlman, who seemed willfully obtuse in his refusal to set a Hudson aside. "I'll show them who's boss!" I can almost hear him say, spitefully. If these never wore smoke lifters, it would also be obtuse to mask her Hudson-like beauty with 'em; the tender, too, is perfect! To see her in steam again would be a miracle in this day and age, but she is one of the last remaining Holy Grails of preserved steam, so one can always hope. Thanks for the thought, and the nice image. Kurt.

Date: 10/18/11 06:34

I didn't say they never wore smoke lifters; they were applied in later years. They were not built with them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/11 06:36 by wlankenau.

Date: 10/18/11 07:06
Author: Keystone1

Ross...where are you...

Date: 10/18/11 08:49
Author: exopr

A more realistic goal: build a badly needed shelter for it and restore the jacketing.

Date: 10/18/11 09:01
Author: YankeeDog

Smoke lifters were applied after WW2. The first NYC engines with "elephant ears" were the S-1a/b 4-8-4 Niagaras of 1945. Apparently they worked and the L-3 and L-4 Mohawks were fitted with smoke deflectors.

As a very young boy I can remember them leaving Central Terminal in Buffalo, losing their footing in the crossovers and double slip switches as they accelerated out of the terminal. I always thought they were mysterious at the time. What were they hiding behind those shields?

As far as restoring it to service, frankly fat chance. A roof over it and a good jacket restoration would be wonderful. Sadly the tender is not original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/11 09:02 by YankeeDog.

Date: 10/18/11 09:40
Author: shay1925

I have to agree that a more admirable goal that can be achieved is to put a roof over her and jacket her. Jim

Date: 10/18/11 09:41

I've been told that the tender is original but the curved part of the coal bunker was cut off by the T&P to make it look like an oil burner. It's said that the grates and stoker have also been removed.

Date: 10/18/11 11:38
Author: shoretower

As for installing "PTS" (I assume you mean PTC) equipment, there are restored steamers that have cab signals installed, so why not PTC? It's just an on-board computer, GPS, and a brake-throttle interface.

Date: 10/18/11 14:20
Author: nkpsteam779

Its takes 10,000 People donating 100 bucks to reach your million dollars. How many of you would abstain from getting camera items, model trains or taking movie with the family 1 time or not eating out for a month to see it run? She is a good candidate, roller bearing axles, good boiler and firebox is good but like people have pointed out where you going to get the million dollars? So unless we become the Brits and get behind our preservation effort all of these locomotives will sit and rust away. Better yet how many of you would be willing to pay 3001 dollars for being one of 330 people to have crack at running after it was done?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/11 14:22 by nkpsteam779.

Date: 10/18/11 14:33
Author: dcautley

I don't think anyone would argue that PTS/PTC can't be installed on a steam locomotive, but rather that it's a comparatively large "sprinkle money on it" problem.

Date: 10/19/11 02:20
Author: co614

I'm here. This comes up regularly and the basic facts never change. Until a serious someone comes forward with the $ 2-3 million it will take to return this engine to service it's all just a lot of blather.

Never say never but IMHO the odds are somewhere between slim and none.

Ross Rowland

Date: 10/19/11 11:31
Author: Keystone1

Well...if the museum who owns her, really wants to restore her to run...I'll be the first to donate $100. Now who is behind me???

Date: 10/19/11 11:41
Author: nkpsteam779

I think the following would be very possible if its done right.

1. Build a shelter over the locomotive. There has to be local businesses or National Chains that might want to donate parts of the project - the Lumber, nails and possible roofing Material to make it work and then round up volunteer who would like to put some sweat equity into the project.

2. As far as the jacket is concerned I would rather needle scale the boiler down first and give it a good coat of the zinc based primer with a rust inhibitor before worrying about the jacket or pretty covering. If the boiler starts pitting or getting soft spots because no one is stopping the rust on the boiler it makes it that much harder to do a restoration to operation in the end. Beside if you put the jacket back on with the lagging it just acts as a sponge holding water against the boiler and thus we go back around to the rust issue again on the boiler.

3. Keep a stack cover on that locomotive. Last time I was there there was no stack cover on the locomotive. This allows rain into the smoke box area and also into the steam chest/blast nozzle area. Thus making repairs again more expensive.

All of the little items help keep the locomotive in good shape. Not trying to put them down for smoke lifters but it seems if they have 10K around there is more pressing issues to keep the locomotive in good shape for the future.

SMH

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2629 seconds