Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Steam & Excursion > Petticoat Junction Train


Date: 01/18/12 06:39
Petticoat Junction Train
Author: VERNON1946

I would like to know, exactly what is the special train, that is used in this TV Series called: "Petticoat Junction"...And anything, any information, on this train. What is it's condition, does it run anymore, what is it called, and where is it? Thank You All...

VERNON HARRISON
LA TOUR, MISSOURI



Date: 01/18/12 06:42
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: VERNON1946

I forgot one thing, I would also like to know the name of the Dog, on the TV Series! The Show runs here, in Missouri, at least five times a week! I especially liked how the train was all decorated up in lights, recently, during Christmas time...

VERNON



Date: 01/18/12 07:04
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: LarryB

Vernon,
The "Hooterville Canonball" is Sierra Railroad #3. The series was filmed at Jamestown, Ca. on the Sierra. I think the dog's name was just "Dog".
The locomotive has held up a lot better over the years than the three ladies in the water tank.



Date: 01/18/12 07:06
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: thehighwayman

VERNON1946 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would like to know, exactly what is the special
> train, that is used in this TV Series called:
> "Petticoat Junction"...And anything, any


More information on the tv show is available at:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056780/

Will MacKenzie
Flamborough, ON (Canada)



Date: 01/18/12 07:37
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: VERNON1946

Thank You, Will...

For the information.*

God Bless YOU, Sir!

Any more information, is greatly accepted! From Anyone..I would like to know more about the Train.

VERNON HARRISON
LA TOUR, MISSOURI



Date: 01/18/12 07:41
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: Mudrock

The dog on Petticoat Junction, whose real name was 'Higgins', was named simply 'Dog' on the show.

The train and scenes were filmed on the Sierra Railway in California and the water tank is in Jamestown, CA.


chris



Date: 01/18/12 08:20
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: andersonb109

I thought the four legged actor's real name was named "Benji"



Date: 01/18/12 08:22
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: Starship_Conductor

.....And don't forget, "Higgins" the dog went on to be real famous as "BENJI"!



Date: 01/18/12 08:39
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: CZ20

From a previous thread

CZ20 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The history of the Petticoat locomotive mock-up is believed to be
> as follows: Originally it was built for a 1950 Dan
> Dailey, Walter Brennan Rory Calhoun and a (almost
> unknown) Marilyn Monroe 20th Century Fox movie
> production called Ticket To Tomahawk. The original
> 1950 cost of the elaborate studio mock-up was
> $40,000. Later in the 1950s, Fox sold the
> wooden/metal/fiberglass engine to a businessman
> who owned an 1890s gas light style hotel in
> Portland, Oregon called the Hoyt Hotel. In the
> 1960s, the locomotive went on to be used in the
> Petticoat Junction TV series, from 1963-1970. It
> was also used in the Wild Wild West TV show for
> scenes of the engine, and tender. After the TV
> studios were done using the engine, the train
> movie prop became the property of Sacramento
> restauranteur/collector Sam Gordon. Gordon
> displayed it in the parking lot of his Sam's Stage
> Coach Inn(Sam's Town)along Hwy 50 in Cameron Park,
> California, about 30 miles to the east of
> Sacramento. Later the mock up fell into disrepair.
> In 1979 it was purchased by John Queirolo and Rick
> Stevenson. Later they gave the care and custody of
> the train to Amador County Museum, and it was then
> restored. The train ended up in its present
> location at the Amador County Museum in Jackson,
> California. As of November 2, 2011 the locomotive
> mock up has been sold to the train museum in
> Durango, Colorado, and was shipped there via
> tractor trailer.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/12 08:45 by CZ20.



Date: 01/18/12 10:18
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: atsf5701

As a kid, I had the Petticoat Junction train set made by Tyco. Long gone are the original boxes, track and power pack. I still have the loco and cars, but the loco no longer runs. Anyone know how to fix?

This photo was from an Ebay sale a few years back. Credit to an unknown photographer.

Mark
Salem, Oregon




Date: 01/18/12 11:06
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: Bridge60

Vernon:

As for the train, in addition to the locomotive, it's in Jamestown as well. If I'm not mistaken, the cars were from the Sierra as well. They were built purposefully short, I believe to fit fit on a switchback (?) on one of the Sierra's branches.

I'm sure someone with much more knowledge than I can fill you in with more info.

Dave



Date: 01/18/12 11:20
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: NSDTK

When I was there in 1999 the coachs were sitting next to #3 in the round house. I was thinking they were short for the curves on the Angels branch.

Posted from Android



Date: 01/18/12 15:55
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: px320

Combine 5 and coach 6 were built for use on the Angels Branch. It was very steep with lots of sharp curves and switchbacks to get dow to the Stanslaus River.



Date: 01/18/12 21:42
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: dmaffei

Wonder if the girls in the water tank commuted on the Hooterville Canonball? Wonder if Hoterville had a Hooters?

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,1091401,1091401#1091401

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooterville_Cannonball



Date: 01/19/12 16:34
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: djansson

That's the basic Tyco "old timer" 4-6-0 dolled up a little. You might find a suitable engine at a RR swap meet or train show. The cab and other goodies are probably easy to swap out. You're still stuck with a Tyco - bummer.

A bit more work with a upgraded replacement drive and motor and you could have something decent to run.


atsf5701 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As a kid, I had the Petticoat Junction train set
> made by Tyco. Long gone are the original boxes,
> track and power pack. I still have the loco and
> cars, but the loco no longer runs. Anyone know how
> to fix?
>
> This photo was from an Ebay sale a few years back.
> Credit to an unknown photographer.
>
> Mark
> Salem, Oregon



Date: 01/19/12 18:38
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: Lackawanna484

dmaffei Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonder if the girls in the water tank commuted on
> the Hooterville Canonball? Wonder if Hoterville
> had a Hooters?
>

nicely played, sir!


=============

Edited to add a comment from IMDB about the engineer and conductor. All the way back in 1967, the Cannonball had one man serving as engineer and conductor...

>>During the run of this show, Charley Pratt (Smiley Burnette) was the engineer of the Cannonball, and Floyd Smoot (Rufe Davis) was the conductor. Burnette died during the fourth season, and Floyd took over Charley's duties as engineer, as well as continuing his own duties as conductor.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/12 18:45 by Lackawanna484.



Date: 01/19/12 20:11
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: VERNON1946

THANK YOU ALL, FOR YOUR INFORMATION.

VERY INFORMATIVE, AND APPRECIATED....

VERNON HARRISON
LA TOUR, MISSOURI



Date: 01/20/12 07:09
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: gjc

I really enjoyed that show. Is it available on DVD?



Date: 01/25/12 22:35
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: scottp

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
All the way back in 1967,
> the Cannonball had one man serving as engineer and
> conductor...
>
> >>During the run of this show, Charley Pratt
> (Smiley Burnette) was the engineer of the
> Cannonball, and Floyd Smoot (Rufe Davis) was the
> conductor. Burnette died during the fourth season,
> and Floyd took over Charley's duties as engineer,
> as well as continuing his own duties as conductor.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Was it part of Springfield Terminal?



Date: 01/26/12 06:32
Re: Petticoat Junction Train
Author: Lackawanna484

scottp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> All the way back in 1967,
> > the Cannonball had one man serving as engineer
> and
> > conductor...
> >
> > >>During the run of this show, Charley Pratt
> > (Smiley Burnette) was the engineer of the
> > Cannonball, and Floyd Smoot (Rufe Davis) was
> the
> > conductor. Burnette died during the fourth
> season,
> > and Floyd took over Charley's duties as
> engineer,
> > as well as continuing his own duties as
> conductor.
> --------------------------------------------------
> ---------
> Was it part of Springfield Terminal?


Maybe that's where Springfield Terminal derived the idea. <G>

The original Springfield Terminal operated a joint road and railroad bridge across the Connecticut River at Springfield VT. Connected with the B&M and CV on the Live Free or Die side. The bridge tolls supported the railroad for many years. Their "one man" operator sometimes collected tolls in his off time



[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1712 seconds