Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Steam & Excursion > What was the best excursion engine?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/18/12 14:29
What was the best excursion engine?
Author: steam290

I'm always thinking about which locomotive was the "best" excursion engine. There are many ways to define "best" but I'm thinking in terms of size, power, speed etc... but also in terms of crowd appeal. ...so I guess that makes two categories, which is the "best" or most ideal, and which is your personal favorite?

I feel that the best excursion engine was 611 hands down. With roller barrings and all axles and rod barrings she is already in the lead, but she had exceptional power and could run at pretty much any speed, up to 110 supposedly. She is beautiful, and definitely a crowd pleaser with her tasteful streamlining and beautiful steamboat whistle. I usually like non-streamlined steam better, but with the J, there was something different. I will always remember 611 in a league of her own.

One can't forget 1218, however. She didn't have roller barring rods, but in every other area she complemented 611 well. She had all the power you could ever want in an excursion engine, and we all know she could roll a train along at a good 70 mph clip if she were needed to. She beat 611 in one area, and that was maneuverability. With her articulation and her compact N&W design she could maneuver the tight curves of the diesel era. She was an overwhelming sight, and that N&W hooter is a sound not soon forgotten.

So, for me it would pretty much be a tie between 611 and 1218. 611's edge being the roller barring rods and the streamlining and 1218's edge being articulation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/12 20:20 by steam290.

Date: 01/18/12 14:57
Re: What was the best excusion engine?
Author: co614

C&O 614 why of course!!

Ross Rowland

Date: 01/18/12 15:07
Author: Wolfman

I would have to agree with you on the 611, But don`nt forget the 8444 and the 4449, Truly beautiful and powerful 4-8-4 `s that could do anything..

Date: 01/18/12 15:08
Author: Weisguy

I agree with Ross. All roller bearing equipped, the BEST most modern technology that LIMA had to offer at the time, and capable of attaining speeds of at least 125mph.
I would go so far as to call the 614 the best steam locomotive in the world today.

Date: 01/18/12 15:22
Author: bxa1

MILW RD 4-8-4 S3 261
CNW 4-6-0 R1 1385
CBQ 4960

Date: 01/18/12 15:28
Author: dt5855

Whatever one is running. I think they are all great to see.

Date: 01/18/12 15:46
Author: Sneebly

My favorite was the SLSF 1522. An engine that served in the days of steam, the midwest. Much of the runs after rebuilding were also in the midwest.

Sneebly

Date: 01/18/12 16:03
Author: rehunn

Define best, after seeing the 614T tapes I really wish I'd seen it in real
life. It's hard to beat 3985 for visual but Rio Grande 497 when it was running
on C&TS was pretty cool.

Date: 01/18/12 16:33
Author: OKTrainboys

If "Best" means which one would you pick today for lets say, regional service based on power and reliability of those running (or almost running) today...
1. CO614
2. J611
3. UP844
4. SP4449

Date: 01/18/12 16:40
Author: tomstp

This questions reminds me of a conversation with Bill Purdie. On T&P 610 he said "this thing will pull and run. We never had anything like this": On 4449 he said "I never rode a steam engine that fast, that far when nothing broke but, nothing broke on 4449." He was impressed by both.

Date: 01/18/12 18:47
Author: Frisco1522

Sneebly, you have excellent taste. I wish our girl had roller bearings. She surprised a lot of people at what she would start and pull. A great showgirl.

Date: 01/18/12 20:10
Author: Bridge60

From the people I've talked to who were in the excursion business back in its heyday, the CP G5's were, pound for pound, the best of the best. Powerful and fast as well as relatively "new". Yet small and light enough to work the lighter lines and branches. Efficient as well, in that they would not eat the operator out of house and home.

Dave

Date: 01/18/12 20:16
Author: LJohnson

Climax # 10 it's a great locomotive and so much fun to watch run
Luke

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/18/12 20:17
Author: RuleG

I have several favorites which already have been mentioned, but I'd like to add SP & S 700 and SP 2472.

Date: 01/18/12 20:24
Author: bnsfbob

Been behind them all. The best beyond doubt was CB&Q 5632. Next best: NKP 765.

Bob

Date: 01/18/12 20:24

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This questions reminds me of a conversation with
> Bill Purdie. On T&P 610 he said "this thing will
> pull and run. We never had anything like this":
> On 4449 he said "I never rode a steam engine that
> fast, that far when nothing broke but, nothing
> broke on 4449." He was impressed by both.

Bill Purdie also said that the 611 was the smoothest riding steam locomotive he ever ran. He said it "ran like a Swiss watch."

Date: 01/18/12 20:30
Author: MH2198

Having both ridden her in Michigan in 2009 and paced alongside at 51mph this past July, I'd wager Nickel Plate Road #765. An all around dependable engine, capable of hauling heavy trains at a decent pace... can't get much better than Super Power steam! Not only that, but she's got a proven "track" (no pun intended) record, which includes pulling an ailing PM #1225 and 30+ passenger cars in the New River Gorge of West Virginia when I was wee 6 months old.

Hoping she rolls down my employer's rails soon, 21st Century Steam would be greatly benefit from an engine like ol' 765.

Just my 2 cents,

-Mike

Date: 01/18/12 20:37

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> C&O 614 why of course!!
>
> Ross Rowland

That's not a surprise that you would pick 614 Mr. Rowland. Indeed a fine locomotive, and surly in the running with 611.

In my opinion, a 4-8-4 is generally the best wheel arrangement for an excursion engine. An exception to that rule would be 765, as has been stated. Indeed an example of the handy work over there at LIMA.

Date: 01/18/12 20:47
Author: nycman

I agree with whoever said "Whatever is running." I have seen and ridden behind or at least fanned almost all mentioned here. One that was left out was PM 1225. Two that I missed were Cotton Belt 819 and Grand Trunk 6325. As far as my best personal experience on an excursion, it has to be 4449 and the trip to Minnesota/Michigan in 2009. Unforgettable.

Date: 01/18/12 20:54
Re: What was the best excursion engine?
Author: mike15224449

For me there are always too many locomotives. Today, I really love the Berkshires 765 and 1225. Engines like these built for fast freight in today's environment are rather flexible at pulling huge passenger trains as well. Good exhaust great whistles and speed.

Digging deep down though, I agree about the 611. The outcry of the public when the plug was pulled was so much more heartbreaking than that of any other locomotive. I hope I'm not speaking for myself here. It just goes to show how popular the engine was and still is really. Loads of us railfans go to Roanoke just to see the 611 and magnificent museum across the railyard.

When you go through the O. Winston Link Museum there at the end of the presentation there is this room with a short video clip a deep moan of a Class J Whistle at the end. Going across the street and seeing the 611 and 1218 there it's hard.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0543 seconds