Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Steam & Excursion > Two more Mexicano del Pacifico locos

Date: 01/22/12 19:49
Two more Mexicano del Pacifico locos
Author: africansteam

Following my January 20th, post showing Ferrocarril Mexicano del Pacifico (MdelP) No. 6, formerly California Westerm No. 6 at Los Mochis, Mexico, SBC_1344 asked if I had photos of any of the other locomotives employed at the sugar mill. In the days ahead I will post a more comprehensive look at the roster from my April 1982 visit. In the meantime, here are numbers 7 and 2. The former is seen switching the mill while the 2 is shown on display in the entry to the property. Unfortunately, they chose to display the Two spot without her unique wood and/or cane slash burning tender.

Cheers,
Jack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/12 21:35 by africansteam.

Date: 01/22/12 20:00
Re: Two more Mexicano del Pacifico locos
Author: LoggerHogger

Here is a shot of her as LP&N #681 at Longview, WA by Al Farrow.

Martin

Date: 01/22/12 20:11

Martin, Nice shot of the 7 in her LP&N dress!

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 01/23/12 00:07
Author: SBC_1344

africansteam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Martin, Nice shot of the 7 in her LP&N dress!
>
> Cheers,
> Jack

What's the LP&N?

Date: 01/23/12 04:41

Longview Portland & Northern. This was a shortline run out of Longview, WA by the parent company, the Long-Bell Lumber Co.

Martin

Date: 01/23/12 06:17
Author: steam290

Wow, the 2 is a classic! Love the photo of the 7. Its too bad you can't still go down and photograph some of these.

Date: 01/23/12 08:11

steam290 Wrote:
> Wow, the 2 is a classic! Love the photo of the 7.
> Its too bad you can't still go down and
> photograph some of these.

Well, technically you could as they are all still on the property. In this Google view you are looking at from left to right, the 6, 4 and 7 and the tender for the 2. The locomotive have been out of service since 1995.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 01/23/12 08:21
Author: CPRR

# 2 still around?

Date: 01/23/12 08:43

CPRR Wrote:
> # 2 still around?

Yes, It shows up in the latest Google maps view in the same location as in my photo.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 01/23/12 11:11
Author: Keystone1

Doesn't any American museum want them??? Martin?

Date: 01/23/12 11:23

Working on it....

Martin

Date: 01/24/12 07:51

SBC_1344 Wrote:
>
> The tender of No. 2 is coupled to No. 4 and the
> "spare" tender I believe is No. 4's, not No.
> 2's...

Hector, was No. 4 originally a woodburner? I ask because the "spare" tender is typical of those seen coupled with some early 10 wheelers like the 2 in turn of the century photos.

Also, do we have a definitive history of the 2? She looks to be ex SP / ex CRY&P.

Cheers,
Jack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/12 07:52 by africansteam.

Date: 02/17/12 03:44
Author: SBC_1344

More research complied from various sources:

The sugar mill business was started by Benjamin Johnston in early 20th. Century. The now gone enginehouse was originally Kansas City, Mexico & Orient, so I don't know what KCM&O had to do by getting to the sugar mil... The line had a lot more branches but where phased out by trucks in the 50's, it even had a passenger car and business car, tank cars, flat cars, boxcars and a lot of cane cars. It also had a feeder narrower gauge railroad. It interchanged with the old CH-P until the mid 90's. The sugar mill is still active and it still is a large employer to the now large city of Los Mochis.

All of MdelP's locos were oil burners technically, while in service in Los Mochis, but in reality they burned asphalt. They never used sugar cane waste as fuel, but the sugar mill's boilers did.

MDELP No. 1

A 4-4-0 - No information up to date (???). Disposition unknown.

MDELP No. 2

A class T-16 (4-6-0) Ten wheeler built by American Locomotive Company o Schenectady, in 1882 (1880?), serial number #1582. If this is correct, then it was built for Southern Pacific of Arizona #70, then Southern Pacific #150, renumbered SP 1642 (1891 list), (later SP 2018?) later sold to Ferrocarril Cananea, Rio Yaqui y Pacifico as #208, then Sud Pacifico de Mexico #208 and finally to United Sugar Company as MdelP #2 (Don't know WHEN it was sold to MdelP). Since she was retired, it was bumped into the back of the sugar mill alone, it was given No. 4's balloon stack, No. 4 received No. 2's stack and tender. That's why No. 4 does not have a tender... No. 4's original tender is believed to be the "spare" tender... But it could be another loco's tender. Due to it's importance on the Mexican Revolution, it was put on display on a pedestal with some speeder trailers in the entrance of the sugar mill.

MDELP No. 3

A 4-6-0 (Class ??) built by Baldwin in 1897, as Arizona & Southeastern #4. Serial number #15320. Later, El Paso & Southwestern #4, 105.
Finally, Ferrocarril de Nacozari #4 before arriving to the Mexicano del Pacifico (WHEN?). Disposition unknown.

No's 4, 6 and 7 are Baldwins. No. 4 from 1922. No's 6 and 7 from 1920.

MDELP No. 4

A 2-8-2, (Class ??) Built by Baldwin. It was the only locomotive to be built new for the Mexicano del Pacifico. Serial number #55645 for United Sugar Company. I don't know if it was a wood burner, apparently not, but it could have had that "spare tender" and it had the balloon stack... It also adopted No. 2's tender and straight stack, when the ten wheeler was retired. Apparently it's original tender was troublesome, but don't know.

MDELP No. 5

A 2-6-2, (Class ??) built by Schenectady in 1917, as Texas, Oklahoma & Eastern #206. Serial number #57437. Don't know when it was sold to MdelP. It's tender was damaged and removed while being rear-ended by No. 6, damaging it's smokebox door, then it got the tender from either No's 1 or 3. Finally it was sold in 1969 to CIASA as #105 in a sugar mill in the State of Veracruz, where it went to work. Disposition unknown. I don't believe the spare tender is No. 5's.

MDELP No. 6's

A 2-6-2, (Class ??) built by Baldwin in 1920 for the California Western Railway & Navigation Company as #21 in Fort Bragg, CA. Serial number #53277. It originally it had a headlight which was put up on top of the smokebox, apparently the CW later reconfigured it to it's front. Sold in 1949 to Pan Am Engineering, who sold it to the MdelP. During it's career, it received power reverse. It rear ended the No. 5 somewhere after the 50's, it's smokebox door was bent, while severly damaging No. 5's tender, so it got a new flat door and headlight was put back on top. No. 6 it still carries it's original Vanderbilt tender.

MdelP No. 7

A Super heater equipped 2-6-2, (Class ??) also built by Baldwin in 1920 as Calcasieu Long Leaf Lumber #68, serial number #54077, apparently WAS a wood-burner, but converted to oil (WHEN??). Sold to Long-Bell Lumber Company as their #681. Later Longview, Portland & Northern still #681, I don't know when LP&N sold #681 to MdelP.

Hopefully, with these additions, more info. will come out!!

PLEASE if anyone has pictures of these locomotives in Mochis or in their previous lives, or has data correction and additions, DON'T hesitate to post!!

Hector M. Gonzalez

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0654 seconds