Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Steam & Excursion > Clinchfield 1 at Tampa, FL

Date: 05/08/12 21:36
Clinchfield 1 at Tampa, FL
Author: Panamerican99

Clinchfield 1 came to Tampa, FL in July, 1978. Two trips were run: a local trip for a local historical group named the Rough Riders and a public excursion to Brooksville, FL sponsored by the Tampa Bay NRHS Chapter.
I'm not sure which day I shot this one. After these events, the train ran back to the Clinchfield via Pensacola, FL, Montgomery, AL, Atlanta, GA, Augusta, GA. A few riders were allowed to make the trip which took a week.
This was the only trip to Florida for the Clinchfield excursion train.
-JH

Date: 05/09/12 08:05
Re: Clinchfield 1 at Tampa, FL
Author: Frisco1522

Where is this engine now?

Date: 05/09/12 08:11
Author: HotWater

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Where is this engine now?

B&O Museum, in Baltimore.

Date: 05/09/12 08:35
Author: Hillcrest

From what I understand they ran that locomotive around quite a bit considering it's age, but I've only seen very few photos of it in excursion service. This is one I've never seen before, thanks for posting it...ever seen the Jim Boyd pacing/pan shot of it? Pacing or not, it looked like it was buzzing right along. Cool old engine.

Cheers, Dave

Date: 05/09/12 08:39
Author: ddg

And this little engine had an "MU" box installed too, so it could control F-7b's that usually accompanied it.

Date: 05/10/12 12:15

ddg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
And this little engine had an "MU" box installed
too, so it could control F-7b's that usually
accompanied it.

Actually it was only a Hosteler Controller out of a "B" unit, which was mounted up in the cab roof of the " 1 spot".

For what it's worth, on very rare occasions, the Clinchfield RR ran special excursions with #1, WITHOUT any "B" units. I checked my slides, and found I had taken the June 1974 trip when #1 went southbound to Altamont and return, and again in June of 1978, when she went northbound to St Paul, VA and return. Both trips were spectacular with good weather, and GREAT sounds of the little
"1 spot" working hard, with NO diesels!

Date: 05/10/12 18:20
Author: ddg

Here's Clinchfield #1 cab interior, with the hostler controls Jack mentioned,
hung from the ceiling. The whole thing looks prehistoric. It looks like one of the brake handles is bent.

Date: 05/11/12 09:12
Author: Hillcrest

Well that certainly doesn't look like the cab interior of a Mainline Excursion Locomotive...But it is... Was #1 the prototype of the Tyco/Mantua Ten-Wheeler model?

Cheers, Dave

Date: 05/11/12 12:51
Author: ExtraSouth

HotWater Wrote:

>
> Actually it was only a Hosteler Controller out of
> a "B" unit, which was mounted up in the cab roof
> of the " 1 spot".
>
> For what it's worth, on very rare occasions, the
> Clinchfield RR ran special excursions with #1,
> WITHOUT any "B" units. I checked my slides, and
> found I had taken the June 1974 trip when #1 went
> southbound to Altamont and return, and again in
> June of 1978, when she went northbound to St Paul,
> VA and return. Both trips were spectacular with
> good weather, and GREAT sounds of the little
> "1 spot" working hard, with NO diesels!

The OneSpot was only rated for the tonnage of two passenger cars. It left Erwin on its first trip with three heading north, but stalled at Hannum (Unicoi). One car was cut off and it continued on with just two. And by the way, it's Altapass NC, not Altamont. :-)

Date: 05/11/12 15:07

ExtraSouth,

Just went back and reviewed the slides from both trips. I had the trip directions reversed, i.e. the 1974 trip out of Erwin was south to Aalta,,,,what ever, with only two coaches.

The June 1978 round trip, from Erwin to St. Paul and back was also with only two coaches. We left Erwin with only two, and returned to Erwin with the same two.

Thanks for the corrections.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.7574 seconds