Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Steam & Excursion > ATSF 3751 - Grand Canyon Limited Video

Date: 05/22/12 06:26
ATSF 3751 - Grand Canyon Limited Video
Author: typebangin

Here is a short excerpt of video I shot during the 2012 Grand Canyon Limited excursion (May 14-19). I chased the train over all 5 days of operation and have about 4 hours of video to go through and edit. This was the first time I've seen 3751 and want to express my gratitude to SBRHS, all the volunteers, the trip sponsors, and the host RR's for making this happen. The slow speeds on the Arizona and California and the missing auxiliary tender were major last minute problems that thankfully didn't stop the train from running. Despite the hiccups, I met a lot of great people and had a great time. I hope to see 3751 on the mainline again in the future as I think it's one of the best looking and sounding 4-8-4's to operate in the post-steam era.

-James
http://www.steamtrainvideos.com

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/22/12 07:12
Re: ATSF 3751 - Grand Canyon Limited Video
Author: BNSF7400

Outstanding video James, looking forward to seeing more.

Date: 05/22/12 07:21
Author: train671

Very good use of camera and choice of locations especially the shot of the double-header approaching the canyon via the trees. You were patient with your use of the camera and the result is very pleasing to the viewer. Congratulations!!!!!

Date: 05/22/12 08:08
Author: YG

Great work James!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 05/22/12 10:37
Author: Mudrock

Nice work James. You were below us on the briddle trail at the Horseshoe Bend on Santa Ana Canyon.

Chris

Date: 05/22/12 15:43
Author: gjc

James, Nice looking video. It was nice to meet you during the chase.

George Cataulin
San Diego, CA
Left Coast Rail Videos

Date: 05/22/12 17:10
Author: tehachcond

That video is the best I've seen. I was at the crossing at Red Lake, and your video sure beat mine. How did you get into that locatiom with the trees?

Brian Black
Retired SP/UP Conductor

Date: 05/22/12 18:32

tehachcond Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That video is the best I've seen. I was at the
> crossing at Red Lake, and your video sure beat
> mine. How did you get into that locatiom with the
> trees?

Brian,
The second to last shot is in Coconino Canyon, 6 or 7 miles south of the Grand Canyon on the return trip. It was probably a 30 minute walk to get into that spot. You take Forest Service Road #328 as far as possible past the tracks, and then hike in.

-James

Date: 05/22/12 20:21
Author: victortorgrimson

Nice video! The shot headed into Grand Canyon Park is outstanding.

It was nice meeting you on the trip. Thanks for sharing some video.

Victor

Date: 05/25/12 12:02
Author: Savannah_Atlanta750

Excellent video...I love seeing firemen who know what they're doing, barely any smoke at all!

Date: 05/25/12 12:03
Author: Phil1

Good videos. Many of us await the rest of them. Does anyone know why the slow orders on the Arizona RR? Was the track ok or were they fearful of an engine failure? This might be a RR to avoid in future trips.

Phil Blommendahl
Getzville, NY

Date: 05/25/12 17:43
Author: kinnearyard

Great Video. I have a question, Why in all the steam videos l have seen in the last couple of years the steamer always has a diesel in tow. Is this in case the steam engine breaks down or are they there to assist the steamer? This steam engine back in the day hauled passenger trains across the country unassisted so why the diesel coupled in behind now. The steam engine still looks and sounds capable of hauling the train on her own.

Date: 05/25/12 19:25

Short answer: HEP, dynamic braking, and insurance in case of break down. For awhile now all mainline excursions (outside UP, CP, and now NS) have been run as Amtrak excursions for insurance reasons, and as such have Amtrak units and crews involved. When you don't own the railroad, you play by the host railroad's rules, and nowadays that involves diesels.

This is discussed every few weeks on TO. Last discussion:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,2766844

-James

Date: 05/25/12 20:15
Author: ProAmtrak

Nice video, and all I can say is they do this again, hopefully it's all BNSF!

Date: 05/26/12 06:32
Author: Shayno6

Wow! What a great video. I'm starting to think I should have gone to California fifty years when I started out for it.That was nice.

Roger L. Routzon
Medina, OH

Date: 05/26/12 14:35
Author: kinnearyard

Thanks for the info. As far as being discussed every few weeks, I get a chance to check Steam &Excursion every few months. Just saying.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0697 seconds