Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Steam & Excursion > A Diesel Guy in Steam Country

Date: 06/11/12 08:27
A Diesel Guy in Steam Country
Author: grandroad

The Rocky Mountain Region of the NMRA had their convention in Chama, NM this weekend. The only activity was a charter from Chama to Big Horn Y. We were on the train for just a little short of 12 hours and had 8 or 9 photo runbys. I model contemporary railroading so I am on the edge of knowing what I have in the photos. The "Big Horn Mixed" as the train was called had about seven freight cars on the front and four coaches and a caboose on the rear, thus, we were a mixed train. Enjoy the smoke and cinders, I did.

1. I got to Chama a day early so I could shoot some photos in the yard. I did sign a release and had a yard pass. The first shot is of 488 arriving in Chama from Antonito.
2. The next day 488 led the train from Chama to Antonito. Here it is pulling into Cumbres to take on water.
3. The k36 is taking on water from the standpipe at Cumbres. Depending on what sign you read the elevation here is about 10015 ft.

Paul Brennecke
Golden, CO

Date: 06/11/12 08:36
Re: A Diesel Guy in Steam Country

4. Four eighty-eight is leaving Cumbers and crossing the highway. There were several groups chasing the train which is easy to do since the road is often near the grade.
5. Back in Chama here is 488 (again and another day) passing the famous coal tower. The tower is not in use, the tenders are loaded with a Case front end loader, however, the dual spout water tank is used.
6. The business end of 488 as it glides into the station at Chama.

Paul Brennecke
Golden, CO

Date: 06/11/12 08:44

7. This shot catches 487 arriving in Chama.
8. The coaling dock at Chama. In this and the next photo we were on a tour led by a "Friends" guide.
9. The Chama engine house, on the left, and what is left of the round house, on the far right, with a speeder storage shed in between. The engine house is emphatically off limits to tourists per our guide.

Paul Brennecke
Golden, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/12 08:59 by grandroad.

Date: 06/11/12 08:56

10. Finally, a couple of shots of the photo runbys. This shot is in a meadow not too far out of Chama. We left at 6 am so the sun was favorable in this shot. The weather was outstanding all the time I was there. The forest carpet was green as well as the aspens which were well leafed out. The whole trip was absolutely beautiful. A little shy of Cumbres we got into some aspens being consumed by tent caterpillars. The caterpillars were all over the rails and the engine had real trouble with traction.
11. The last photo runby was at Rock Tunnel. The vantage point is not large so we had to divide the photo line up and make two runby to accommodate everyone. This is my best shot of a bunch due a pine tree limb just sticking in to the frame.

Paul Brennecke
Golden, CO

Date: 06/11/12 10:53
Author: andersonb109

Too bad your group didn't have the locos appropriately re-lettered for the occasion.

Date: 06/11/12 12:28
Author: YG

Thanks for sharing a bit of heaven!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 06/11/12 12:59
Author: rehunn

To the comment about the re-lettering, understand that this was a very inexpensive trip and that
would have only added to the overall cost.

Date: 06/12/12 09:15
Author: wag216

Great shots, diesel Guy! I would enjoy looking at your steam photos any time. wag216

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0568 seconds