Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Steam & Excursion > 40 Years Ago - Stimson Shay #1 Leaves Oaks Park!

Date: 11/09/12 14:57
40 Years Ago - Stimson Shay #1 Leaves Oaks Park!
Author: LoggerHogger

This is a follow up to a piece I posted a couple of weeks ago about Stimson Lumber Shay # 1 that was burned when the Forestry Building in Portland Oregon burned in 1964.

What many folks forget is that the Shay was moved to Oaks Park after the fire and was displayed there for several years before she was moved to new Western Forestry Center where she is today.

Here is a great old photo of the October 1972 move out of Oaks Park of Simpson Shay #1.

Look who she is leaving behind on that cold October day 40 years ago. SP&S #700 and SP #4449. They too would eventually leave Oaks Park and fortunately for all of us go back into service.

Martin

Date: 11/09/12 23:00
Re: 40 Years Ago - Stimson Shay #1 Leaves Oaks Park!
Author: coach

In my MOBILE FIDELITY LP "Freedom Train", it discusses a gentleman who oiled and lubed 4449's running gear for years, not even knowing if she'd run again. Very, very touching--his quiet labor of love is what initially allowed that engine to return to service. May he rest in peace, while watching 4449 roll by.

Date: 11/10/12 02:43

I covered the story of Jack Holst recently in the following thread:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,2887583,2887583#msg-2887583

Martin

Date: 11/10/12 16:25
Author: haneckow

It does beg the question, that if it had remained in Oaks Park longer, would it be in the ORHF facility today? Perhaps restored in in the process there of?

Date: 11/10/12 16:38

Hard to say. She is pretty old and has limited pulling power. Still, shw would make a nice project.

What we are really looking for is a Willamette. Since they were all built in Portland, that is the perfect locomotive for ORHF.

Martin

Date: 11/10/12 22:40
Author: asheldrake

An interesting "what if" question Dan. I believe that Jack Holst and others had Peggy about ready to run. I am
sure pleased that the World Forestry Center brought her out to the front and gave her a roof. The new paint job
on her and the trailing disconnects look good. Arlen

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0368 seconds