Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Steam & Excursion > More New Haven Pacific photos

Date: 11/21/12 21:49
More New Haven Pacific photos
Author: choochoocharlie

More 4X5 negative photos from Harry R. Lange

1 - New Haven Pacific #1331 arriving in Waterbury from the south with a short passenger train. The various automobiles in the parking lot below the track level are interesting too.
2 - Pacific #1331 leaving the Waterbury station headed North with another short passenger train. That's the clock tower of the station in the background. Photo taken on August 20th, 1948.
3 - Pacific #1331 seen going under a road bridge with a short passenger train probably North and East of Waterbury Connecticut. Photo taken on August 28th, 1948.

Always welcome location comments if known, as sometimes the negative sleeves don't have much info on them. I can remember some of the locations when looking at the photos, but for anything else, I am lost. Photogs, now, please remember that. Years later when you look at your photos you will wish you had taken note of at least the date and location of your photos. I hear that all the time when I get together with other rail photographers and we all show some of our photos. Especially if something happens to you and someone else has to try and figure it out. After a couple of years I realized I needed to make notes. From then on I not only noted the date and location, but also the time, train direction, lens used, camera settings (shutter speed and F/stop) film type, and even any pertinant info on what was happening at the time the photo was taken.

C.C.Chas.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/12 21:52 by choochoocharlie.

Date: 11/22/12 07:16
Re: More New Haven Pacific photos
Author: YG

Very interesting!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 11/22/12 08:34
Author: Frisco1522

Wish I could go car shopping in the first photo.
Thank you for posting these. Very interesting.

Date: 11/22/12 10:51
Author: engine3420

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wish I could go car shopping in the first photo.
> Thank you for posting these. Very interesting.

Your not the only one....can't find a post war car in the bunch.

Date: 11/22/12 13:59
Author: nycman

Your dad was not only a good photographer, he taught you well. That is a fascinating collection of cars in the first photo. The "fastback" must be one of GM's first, maybe a 1941? It's fun to try to pick out the various manufacturers products, for those of us old enough to remember these machines.

Date: 10/05/14 08:14
Author: robertw144

Love the top photo really captures the grit of Waterbury back in the day. The building in the background just to the left of the second passenger car on the other side of the yard, I believe, is the yardmasters office. Can anyone tell me what the building is to the right of the loco in the foreground? Coal?

Robert Gross
Groveland FL

Date: 10/07/14 20:28
Author: lwilton

choochoocharlie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hear that all the time
> when I get together with other rail photographers
> and we all show some of our photos. Especially if
> something happens to you and someone else has to
> try and figure it out. After a couple of years I
> realized I needed to make notes. From then on I
> not only noted the date and location, but also the
> time, train direction, lens used, camera settings
> (shutter speed and F/stop) film type, and even any
> pertinant info on what was happening at the time
> the photo was taken.

Charlie, not to rain on your parade, but you are making the assumption that your notes will be recognized as valuable by those that come after, AND that they will stay with your images. Whoever settles your estate might not know your habits, and toss the paperwork and donate the slides to three different organizations. Or maybe the book will go with one box of slides and someone else will get the other slides, without the pages of the book that tell about them.

There isn't much room on a slide for print, and they don't have tiny USB-readable RFID chips you could glue to them. Duplicating the info from the book onto the slide is a pain, but it might be the best thing to do. Maybe getting a label machine of some sort that could print the info on a tiny sticky-label might be the best way to go to document thousands of slides.

I think there might be a better way in this modern era. Mark each slide "Collection of <you> # <slide number>". Then put your book online some place that is likely to survive if you pass on, and survive by more than a month or two until someone stops paying the monthly or annual subscription fee. Then when someone buys, finds, or inherits your slides, they can find the info online somewhere.

Date: 10/18/14 01:58
Author: robertw144

I agree Charlie. I would also think that these magnificent images should be in a calendar. NHRHTA or Waterbury Historical Association or something. I for one would purchase such a calendar. Actually if you were to offer these photos on ebay in 11 x 16 photo format, you'd make a mint. Again, if this is something you would consider, I'd be your first buyer. I can think of at least a dozen photos that I would want to frame and hang in my home office.

Robert Gross
Groveland FL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0684 seconds