Home Open Account Help 209 users online

Steam & Excursion > SP&S #700 On First Weekend Of Holiday Express


Date: 11/30/12 11:39
SP&S #700 On First Weekend Of Holiday Express
Author: LoggerHogger

Today starts our fist 3 weekends of Holiday Express trains in Portland's Oak Park.

The first weekend is handled by SP&S 4-8-4 #700. She is seen here this morning leaving the new Oregon Rail Heritage Center for her trip to Oaks Park where the trips are originating.

We will pull the trains over the next 2 weekends with SP 4449. If you are in the area come on down and take a ride behind these 2 great locomotives.

Martin




Date: 11/30/12 14:07
Re: SP&S #700 On First Weekend Of Holiday Express
Author: unseenthings

Since all this work went into getting it ready, and 4449 will be down soon, any chance for an excursion next year? Or is my only hope to experience 700 is to plan a trip halfway across the country to ride a short gimmicky Christmas train?



Date: 11/30/12 14:11
Re: SP&S #700 On First Weekend Of Holiday Express
Author: HotWater

unseenthings Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Or is my only hope to
experience 700 is to plan a trip halfway across
the country to ride a short gimmicky Christmas
train?

That pretty well covers it!



Date: 11/30/12 14:36
Re: SP&S #700 On First Weekend Of Holiday Express
Author: Hillcrest

Ahhh, they always look so nice for the Holidays...Hope everything goes well! The weather looks a bit nicer in Portland than up here in Port Orchard where it's raining sideways at the moment.

Cheers, Dave



Date: 11/30/12 16:35
Re: SP&S #700 On First Weekend Of Holiday Express
Author: Macster

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> unseenthings Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> Or is my only hope to
> experience 700 is to plan a trip halfway across
> the country to ride a short gimmicky Christmas
> train?
>
> That pretty well covers it!


Always the optimist!



Date: 11/30/12 16:55
Re: SP&S #700 On First Weekend Of Holiday Express
Author: The_Chief_Way

So what are the issues for the 700?
Is it mechanical or organizational?
I'd love to go for another mainline trip
with that one.



Date: 11/30/12 17:08
Re: SP&S #700 On First Weekend Of Holiday Express
Author: HotWater

Macster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> HotWater Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > unseenthings Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > Or is my only hope to
> > experience 700 is to plan a trip halfway
> across
> > the country to ride a short gimmicky Christmas
> > train?
> >
> > That pretty well covers it!
>
>
> Always the optimist!


Just dealing with reality!



Date: 11/30/12 17:18
Re: SP&S #700 On First Weekend Of Holiday Express
Author: Auburn_Ed

Still unanswered is the question brought up here: Why not any mainline use of the #700? From my experience, having attended NRHS meetings going back to the early '80s is.........organizational.

Ed



Date: 11/30/12 18:09
Re: SP&S #700 On First Weekend Of Holiday Express
Author: OKTrainboys

I too am wondering about the 700.... Maybe if Jim700 has a minute, he can jump in and update us on his gal!!

I have flown half way across the country to ride this Christmas train....the terrific steam effects make it worth the trip.....but alas, I have only seen the 700 steaming at 10mph......never on the main at track speed.....



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/12 18:38 by OKTrainboys.



Date: 11/30/12 20:00
Re: SP&S #700 On First Weekend Of Holiday Express
Author: Macster

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Macster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > HotWater Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > unseenthings Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > Or is my only hope to
> > > experience 700 is to plan a trip halfway
> > across
> > > the country to ride a short gimmicky
> Christmas
> > > train?
> > >
> > > That pretty well covers it!
> >
> >
> > Always the optimist!
>
>
> Just dealing with reality!


I dunno, things may just happen ;)



Date: 12/01/12 09:56
Re: SP&S #700 On First Weekend Of Holiday Express
Author: EMDSW-1

OKTrainboys Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I too am wondering about the 700.... Maybe if
> Jim700 has a minute, he can jump in and update us
> on his gal!!
>
> I have flown half way across the country to ride
> this Christmas train....the terrific steam effects
> make it worth the trip.....but alas, I have only
> seen the 700 steaming at 10mph......never on the
> main at track speed.....

A donation of around $175 grand would allow us to upgrade our line to 40 mph so you can see the 700 and 4449 "on the main track at speed". Yuk yuk!

Dick Samuels
Oregon Pacific Railroad



Date: 12/01/12 15:01
Re: SP&S #700 On First Weekend Of Holiday Express
Author: OKTrainboys

Yes, but SP&S 700 traveling at 40 mph on your SAMTRACK would suck in all the bicycler's!!



Date: 12/01/12 17:17
Re: SP&S #700 On First Weekend Of Holiday Express
Author: HotWater

EMDSW-1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A donation of around $175 grand would allow us to
> upgrade our line to 40 mph so you can see the 700
> and 4449 "on the main track at speed". Yuk yuk!
>
> Dick Samuels
> Oregon Pacific Railroad


Wouldn't the FRA have something to say about handling passengers on track that hasn't been "electronically inspected" by Sperry, at 40MPH speeds?



Date: 12/01/12 23:52
Re: SP&S #700 On First Weekend Of Holiday Express
Author: Macster

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> EMDSW-1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A donation of around $175 grand would allow us
> to
> > upgrade our line to 40 mph so you can see the
> 700
> > and 4449 "on the main track at speed". Yuk yuk!
> >
> > Dick Samuels
> > Oregon Pacific Railroad
>
>
> Wouldn't the FRA have something to say about
> handling passengers on track that hasn't been
> "electronically inspected" by Sperry, at 40MPH
> speeds?

*facepalm*



Date: 12/02/12 15:36
Re: SP&S #700 On First Weekend Of Holiday Express
Author: EMDSW-1

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> EMDSW-1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A donation of around $175 grand would allow us
> to
> > upgrade our line to 40 mph so you can see the
> 700
> > and 4449 "on the main track at speed". Yuk yuk!
> >
> > Dick Samuels
> > Oregon Pacific Railroad
>


> Wouldn't the FRA have something to say about
> handling passengers on track that hasn't been
> "electronically inspected" by Sperry, at 40MPH
> speeds?

YOU come up with the $$$$ and WE will worry about the FRA!!!

Dick



Date: 10/31/13 09:38
Re: SP&S #700 On First Weekend Of Holiday Express
Author: unseenthings

Jack was a little more forthcoming about the 700 a few years back
http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/spands-700

We also beat this to death last year about this time
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,2930719
and how I made eveyone upset by asking.
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,2931383

A public trip next year sounds great, and I continue to wish them the best.



[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1342 seconds