Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Steam & Excursion > C&NW Tripleheader

Date: 12/02/12 16:28
C&NW Tripleheader
Author: Q4960

When I was working for the C&NW at South Pekin, Illinois, an official had shown up for whatever reason. I asked if HQ might have any photos on file of the line through South Pekin? This is what he sent me. First a triple header coming out of the Illinois River Valley on Radnor Hill, now known as Pioneer Hill [Peoria area]. I'm not sure which would be the helper. Second is a double header, no clue where it would have been taken. Any ideas?

Roger Holmes

Date: 12/02/12 17:43
Re: C&NW Tripleheader
Author: patd3985

Love your pix, Roger! Especially the first one! All 3 of those beauties, "battin' the stack off her"!

Date: 12/02/12 19:38
Author: OKTrainboys

CNW had nice looking northerns....that first photo is really something....it looks like a northern, a pacific? and another northern....wish we were there! Got any more?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/12 19:39 by OKTrainboys.

Date: 12/02/12 19:48
Author: Q4960

The Northwestern used 2-8-4 Berkshires on this line so my guess is a 2-8-2 Mikado sandwiched between two Berks.

Roger Holmes

Date: 12/03/12 10:13
Author: Mayfair Tower

2nd Photo looks like the photographer is standing on the ATSF bridge over the C&NW bridgelooking south. It would be near the town of Buda which is just east of the location.

Date: 12/03/12 13:06
Author: PatternOfFailure

Mayfair Tower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2nd Photo looks like the photographer is standing
> on the ATSF bridge over the C&NW bridgelooking
> south. It would be near the town of Buda which is
> just east of the location.

I concur, except that's the CB&Q Main Line toward Galesburg the photograph would be standing upon.

Date: 12/03/12 13:43
Author: pb

The 1873 in second photo is a Class Z 2-8-0.Had 250 of them,pruchased beteeen 1909-1913.

Date: 12/03/12 16:17

Ah you are correct! Had my 2 lines mixed up.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/03/12 22:42
Author: JimBaker

Wouldn't the third engine be the road engine with the first two being the helpers?

--Jim Baker

Date: 12/04/12 05:56
Author: LarryDoyle

JimBaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wouldn't the third engine be the road engine with
> the first two being the helpers?
>

Maybe.

Depends upon a lot of things: The railroad, the district and its length, union contracts, dispatcher, tradition, engineers seniority and/or personal preferences ...

-LD

Date: 12/04/12 08:08

Talked to my father last night about the photos. He said if he remembered correctly the story behind the first photo was that one of the water stops along the line was OOS so the lead engine was the helper. They put it on to help the other 2 save water and get over the hill. The lead would cutoff and head back to Peoria, he thinks....

Date: 12/04/12 12:03
Author: davebb71

sorry guys, i can't agree with buda, il crossing in the second picture. if the photographer is standing on the CBQ bridge and is looking south, the cnw railroad and the vehicle road make an acute angle with one another in the middle of the picture. the obtuse angle is on the left side of the picture. now look an aerial of that crossing, it's just the opposite. any other ideas?? dave, out.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds