Home Open Account Help 213 users online

Steam & Excursion > 4-8-4's: current situtations?

Date: 12/04/12 19:51
4-8-4's: current situtations?
Author: hldtrains

Some questions about some 4-8-4s: First, what happened to the St. Louis Southwestern #819? And I am curious about some Santa Fe 2900s. I remember seeing a 2900 at the Pueblo, CO depot years ago supposedly under restoration and reading about another 2900 in Kansas that was also being restored. Did anything ever happen to either of them? I also read a "rumor", and there are always plenty of those, that the 2921 in Modesto,CA was going to be moved from a park and placed on static display elsewhere. Maybe at nearest Amtrak stop. The last time I saw it in the park (about 10 years ago) it appeared to be more of a health hazard than anything else. The CSRM also has had a 2900 for about 20 years and only accumulates more rust. And, yes, I do know it all takes money. Any updates on this stuff is most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Howard

Date: 12/04/12 20:02
Re: 4-8-4's: current situtations?
Author: traingeek087

Cotton Belt 819 is at the Arkansas Railway Museum disassembled. I believe it is land locked by the UP so it will not be running anytime recently if ever.

Traingeek087

Date: 12/04/12 20:56
Author: tomstp

The 2900 sits in Pueblo partially apart with nothing being repaired and doubtful it ever will be. It appears everyone has lost interest and of course, lack of money.

Date: 12/04/12 20:58
Author: tomstp

Work on the Santa Fe 4-8-4 in Albuquerque is still being restored with active work going one. It will be finished one day.

Date: 12/04/12 21:02
Author: robertsdavid

Illinois Railway Museum is the home for AT&SF 2903

Website for the AT&SF 2912 in Pueblo: http://www.2912.com/

2913 is at Riverview Park, Ft. Madison, IA

2921 is in Beard Brook Park, B St., Modesto, CA

2925 is stored in the CSRM boiler and erecting shops, Sacramento, CA

http://www.nmslrhs.org/: The New Mexico Steam Locomotive and Railroad Historical Society is bringing the AT&SF 2926 back to operational condition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/12 21:14 by robertsdavid.

Date: 12/04/12 21:15
Author: KeyRouteKen

traingeek087 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cotton Belt 819 is at the Arkansas Railway Museum
> disassembled. I believe it is land locked by the
> UP so it will not be running anytime recently if
> ever.
>
> Traingeek087

Today, the engine is partially disassembled for the mandated 15-year Federal Railroad Administration inspection. The boiler has been “ultra-sounded” and documented, with only a small area of the firebox remaining to be checked. The flue tubes were removed with plans made for their replacement. A sudden increase in material costs and various emergency repairs needed at the museum over the years have exhausted funds that were hoped to be used to complete the project. The locomotive has sat idle inside the museum, quietly awaiting its return to steam and possible future travels.

KRK

Date: 12/04/12 21:39
Author: Evan_Werkema

robertsdavid Wrote:

> Website for the AT&SF 2912 in Pueblo:

From the website: "After many years of inspections and partial rebuilds of components (starting in 1994), the situations today make such a venture very costly (multiple millions of dollars), plus require trackage willing to allow steam operations. At present, this is outside the labor and funding available through volunteers or grantors. Our goal now is to return the 2912 to as close to its condition when it was first put into service."

> 2921 is in Beard Brook Park, B St., Modesto, CA

There have been several proposals for this engine in the last few decades. The Western America RR Museum in Barstow, CA expressed interest in it in the mid-90's, and did asbestos abatement and stabilization work on it:

http://www.barstowrailmuseum.org/2921_1.html

That prompted a local effort to keep the engine in Modesto and move it to the Amtrak station along the ex-ATSF on the east side of town. No physical manifestations of that effort have come to pass as yet, and unless and until they do, the engine stays where it is, periodically flooded by Dry Creek and pillaged by collectors/recyclers.

> 2925 is stored in the CSRM boiler and erecting
> shops, Sacramento, CA

The 2925 and 2-10-4 5021 were still stored outside on the levee just north of Business-80 in October. Were they moved back indoors recently?

Date: 12/05/12 00:20
Author: davew833

A friend sent me a pic of #2925 and #5021 along the Sacramento river that he took on or about October 20 of this year.

Date: 12/05/12 17:14
Author: robertsdavid

Some of the status information I gleaned from http://www.steamlocomotive.com. In the case of the 2925 (and 5021) it appears that the info needs to be updated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/12 17:15 by robertsdavid.

Date: 12/05/12 17:20
Author: mikel

robertsdavid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> : The New Mexico Steam Locomotive and Railroad
> Historical Society is bringing the AT&SF 2926 back
> to operational condition.

I can confidently vouch for that statement ! I stopped by the 2926 folks last week while I was in Albuquerque, NM. For a Wed, mid-week workday, they had at least a dozen guys there all working on one aspect or another. My "tour guide" told me that on Saturdays, they usually have quite a turnout. So YES, the grand lady will run in the future and not just "some day". Thinking it'll be 3-4 years, but will run !!

Mike

Date: 12/05/12 17:50
Author: SD45X

And didn't the Kingman engine get new paint?

Date: 12/05/12 19:38
Author: Abqfoamer

As a former NMSLer...2926's 8-axle oil tender is complete; '26's rehabbed Timken rod bearings are back on; appliances being rebuilt; new tubes await install; boiler interior 'blasted; staybolt work progressing; boiler patches done; cab interior getting insulation, new wood; brake work underway.
See nmslrhs.org website pics.

Wednesday/Saturday year-round work schedule includes seasoned machinists, local plumber's union pipefitters/welders, retired Sandia Labs personnel, rail personnel, retired police.
Early project was mentored by "sister" 3751's SBRHS under Bob Kittel.

These guys are dead serious about gittin 'er done!

Latest estimated steamup--2014. Runs pulling leased coaches are planned for NMDOT track, Abq-Lamy.
Latest push for ATSF Abq shops (NOT RAILYARDS--THAT'S IN SANTA FE) rebuild may include new storage/repair facility for 2926, visiting locos.

The eventually-abandoned 2912 project, a victim of poor planning, lack of a proper work site, poverty and politics, at least spurred 2926 rescuers to action, which continues today.

Edit:
Here are September worksite open house '26 pics...
1. "Finished" pilot view.
2. Actual work still in progress. Detached cab work nearby.
Photos courtesy of nmslrhs.org website

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/12 20:29 by Abqfoamer.

Date: 12/06/12 19:50

Tom...Here is 2912 in Pueblo, with visiting 2926ers Ernie Robart and Tom Willers, a few years ago as restoration was winding down.
Photo by me.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/12 20:49 by Abqfoamer.

Date: 12/06/12 21:40
Author: DNRY122

And the 2926 has three cats that "supervise" the work and, we hope, bring some good luck to the project. Look under "Shen" on the Eastern board and scroll down.

Date: 12/07/12 15:27

I did. It was fun.

Date: 12/10/12 09:19
Author: Frisco1522

Are they just going to leave 2912 in that state? Why don't they at least put her back together. There's too many of these projects that end up in piles already.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0687 seconds