Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP Big Boy rumor

Current Page:1 of 8

Date: 12/06/12 14:49
UP Big Boy rumor
Author: Frisco1522

Had an interesting rumor go in one ear and out the next concerning the UP 4014 in the Fairplex.
Usually these things fire up around April 1.

Date: 12/06/12 14:50
Re: UP Big Boy rumor
Author: MikeUP4014

And the rumor would be?

Mike Keithly
Kimball, NE

Date: 12/06/12 14:58
Author: johnacraft

MikeUP4770 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And the rumor would be?

An email went out earlier today, from a pretty well-respected person, indicating that someone from UP (initials E. D.) had approached the group that owns the Pomona Big Boy about 'obtaining' it for rebuild. Also mentioned was that UP has evaluated all 7 Big Boys, and the implication is they're working down the list to 'obtain' the one in the best shape.

Normally, I would tend to agree with Don, especially after the Texas craziness some years ago. But as I said, the person whose name is in the "from" field of the email isn't the kind of person to start rumors.

JAC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/12 15:04 by johnacraft.

Date: 12/06/12 15:14
Author: dan

was told by Ed what UP has planned, will blow your mind. multiple engines?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/12 15:25 by dan.

Date: 12/06/12 15:32
Author: rehunn

This means that the NS is serious about the "A" and the horsepower war is on!
BTW, moon rides are going for $2.2B, line up now, should be about the same time
that a Big Boy runs and pigs fly.

Date: 12/06/12 15:40
Author: iliketrains

rehunn Wrote:
> ... and pigs fly.

Oink Oink.

Date: 12/06/12 15:56
Author: NormSchultze

Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine !

Date: 12/06/12 16:01
Author: Realist

Sounds like a desperate individual or two trying to rehab a tattered reputation.

Date: 12/06/12 16:02
Author: lwilton

> Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine !

Is that sort-of like the pumpkin chucking competition?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/12 16:04 by lwilton.

Date: 12/06/12 16:08
Author: patd3985

johnacraft Wrote:
> MikeUP4770 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And the rumor would be?
>
>
> An email went out earlier today, from a pretty
> well-respected person, indicating that someone
> from UP (initials E. D.) had approached the group
> that owns the Pomona Big Boy about 'obtaining' it
> for rebuild. Also mentioned was that UP has
> evaluated all 7 Big Boys, and the implication is
> they're working down the list to 'obtain' the one
> in the best shape.
>
> Normally, I would tend to agree with Don,
> especially after the Texas craziness some years
> ago. But as I said, the person whose name is in
> the "from" field of the email isn't the kind of
> person to start rumors.
>
> JAC

I'm "a pretty well repected person"! Maybe it was me...I don't seem to remember mentioning this, but I don't seem to remember mentioning a lot of things!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/12 16:13 by patd3985.

Date: 12/06/12 16:11
Author: HotWater

I find it interesting that the "experts" determined that the 4014 is "the best candidate" for restoration. You mean that the 4000 class locomotive in Texas, or the 4000 class locomotive in St Louis, or the 4000 class locomotive in Denver, or the 4000 class locomotive RIGHT THERE IN CHEYENNE, are all WORSE?????

Give me a break!

They don't have "time" to maintain 844 properly, nor get 3985 back up and running, but they are going to rebuild a 4000?????

Date: 12/06/12 16:15
Author: patd3985

FISH ON!!!!

Date: 12/06/12 16:17
Author: tolland

Jack has a point; 3985 is languishing there in the shop; the time and resources should be put toward it's restoration. Rumors are flying from people very close to Dickens that 4014 has caught his eye; however, the disclaimer is that those are rumors...

Date: 12/06/12 16:31
Author: EmpireBuilder

If this pipe dream is real I think it will be great entertainment, it's so far fetched that its laughable. With the dissatisfaction in Omaha, the track record since Ed took over and the fact that the Guardian Angel is leaving after the first of the year I'll be watching for that squadron of pigs flying over the shop. Add in the fact that it really couldn't run in many places and this sure seems like bait for a pissing match. Honestly, whoever came up with this needs to pee in a cup.

Date: 12/06/12 16:32
Author: rehunn

As I said 369 posts ago, don't be surprised to find contractors "assisting"
the steam program.

Date: 12/06/12 16:42
Author: pismopete

I got the same e-mail; and it said Dickens attended the Tuesday evening meeting of the Southern California Chapter of the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society in San Marino and made inquires there. More than a rumor!

Peter Arnold

johnacraft Wrote:
> MikeUP4770 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And the rumor would be?
>
>
> An email went out earlier today, from a pretty
> well-respected person, indicating that someone
> from UP (initials E. D.) had approached the group
> that owns the Pomona Big Boy about 'obtaining' it
> for rebuild. Also mentioned was that UP has
> evaluated all 7 Big Boys, and the implication is
> they're working down the list to 'obtain' the one
> in the best shape.
>
> Normally, I would tend to agree with Don,
> especially after the Texas craziness some years
> ago. But as I said, the person whose name is in
> the "from" field of the email isn't the kind of
> person to start rumors.
>
> JAC

Date: 12/06/12 16:45
Author: OKTrainboys

It's only been two hours, and I'm already totally worn out because of this thread.....FACT PLEASE, FACTS!

Date: 12/06/12 16:54
Author: Auburn_Ed

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING! This rumor is as good as any of those started in the flight attendant lounge:("we're starting service to the MOON next year"). I consider the 'lounge' the ULTIMATE false rumor source.

Ed

Date: 12/06/12 16:55
Author: engine3420

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: UP Steam Bombshell

Gentlemen:

I attended a meeting on Tuesday evening of the Southern California Chapter of the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society in San Marino.

An outside guest was there for the “informational” side of the meeting, with a proposal for the chapter membership and board to consider.

Ed Dickens; he’s the manager of UP’s Historic Equipment program at Cheyenne. He announced that UP has decided to restore and run a Big Boy as a public relations gesture—and that millions of dollars have been budgeted for the project.

Engineering staff has surveyed all seven surviving Big Boy locomotives and found that the 4014 on display at the Los Angeles County Fairgrounds in Pomona (owned by the SCC-R&LHS) is the one of the seven in the best condition and therefore the first choice for the UP restoration project.

At the meeting, UP offered to “obtain” the 4014 from the Chapter, move it across the Fair parking lot on snap track to live (Metrolink) rails and then haul it to Cheyenne for a multi-year restoration project. He didn’t say “buy” and he didn’t say “repossess,” and he did leave open the possibility of loaning another steam locomotive to the Chapter to fill the empty space. UP to pay all costs.

At least one Board member is adamantly opposed to accepting UP’s offer. His concern is that the Chapter and Fairplex facility management in Pomona have frequently clashed in the past and that removing the “star” of the R&LHS exhibit would give Fairplex the opportunity to evict the entire rail museum—leaving it homeless. No decision was reached during the meeting. I suspect that the Board will want to poll the entire Chapter membership, but that is just my own opinion. Apparently a Board meeting is scheduled for this weekend.

If a deal is reached, UP wants to make the move by February 2013.

This is not an official announcement and I do not speak for the Chapter or the UP. All I can say is, “watch the media” and check with your sources.

Joe Strapac

Have fun....a reliable source.......Chris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/12 16:56 by engine3420.

Date: 12/06/12 17:15
Author: CCMF

Maybe it's going to pull the X-train to Vegas. ;-)

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Current Page:1 of 8

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0634 seconds