Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Steam & Excursion > Cass...we have a problem

Date: 12/07/12 10:35
Cass...we have a problem
Author: Tyler4steam

Story broke today on a scrap metal selling scheme at Cass, with 11 current and former employees indicted in Pocahontas county. Doesn't sound good...

http://dailymail.com/News/201212060211

Tyler

Date: 12/07/12 11:18
Re: Cass...we have a problem
Author: Frisco1522

Has anyone seen No. 6? It was just here a few days ago.................

Date: 12/07/12 11:21
Author: LoggerHogger

Sure glad I got Mount Emily Lumber #1 out of there when I did.

http://www.pocahontastimes.com/news/2012/12/06/grand-jury-indicts-26

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/12 11:27 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/07/12 12:02
Author: WP-M2051

LoggerHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sure glad I got Mount Emily Lumber #1 out of there
> when I did.
>
> http://www.pocahontastimes.com/news/2012/12/06/gra
> nd-jury-indicts-26
>
> Martin

Martin,

Do you still own the engine?

Date: 12/07/12 12:07
Author: LoggerHogger

The engine is still owned by the Oregon Historical Society. They put me in charge of the engine when they asked me to bring it back from Cass 20+ years ago. Since then they have left me in charge of keeping it running in Oregon.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/12 12:34 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/07/12 12:22
Author: cjvrr

I have no idea of the circumstances behind these legal actions but a few stories from my life;

I worked for a small private business that had a machine shop for making specialty pipe. We had lots of ductile iron scrap and brass valves on hand. When a line changed or the valves became obsolete the old brass and scrap would get loaded in a truck and shop foreman took it to a scrap yard. The foreman would come back with pizza and beer for the employees and any extra money went into the beer fund. It was never much more than $100.00 When the bosses got wind of this they demanded the money, so after that all the scrap metal went right in the dumpster with the regular trash...

In another case a local town replaced storm drains with a newer design. Typically this was done when roads were repaved and the contractor would get the old ones to scrap. However the town DPW also changed some and had the old ones to scrap. Two gents in the DPW took it upon themselves to dispose of them and pocketed the money. They both ended up losing their jobs and their pensions over a couple hundred dollars in scrap....their defense was the town didn't have a plan in place to dispose of the scrap metal in the yard so they took it upon themselves to get rid of it. It was still theft of property.

Date: 12/10/12 05:15
Author: junctiontower

At the company I work for (truck leasing and repair) we generate several thousand dollars a year in scrap steel and aluminum. The money generated from this scrap goes into an employees fund and is used for cook-outs, pizza parties, items for the break room and has been given as gifts to employees in need, such as a house fire or a major medical problem. Contrary to people stealing our scrap, we actually have employees and customers bring in scrap of their own and throw it in our dumpsters.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0315 seconds