Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Steam & Excursion > PRR 1361

Date: 12/09/12 06:49
PRR 1361
Author: WauhopM

Ok I probably know all of you guys out there regard me as beating a dead IRON horse with this thread-but is anything going on with this locomotive? Altoona has been silent on the subject for so long SOMEONE MUST KNOW SOMETHING! and since as a resident of the great state of Pennsylvania my tax dollars have gone into this sinkhole-I THINK I HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW!

Date: 12/09/12 08:19
Re: PRR 1361
Author: bigjim4life

Nothing new. Nothing to see, move along...

Date: 12/09/12 09:35
Author: burlingtonjohn

You ask this question on a near-annual basis and the results are the same. If you are indeed a resident and taxpayer of the state, why don't you go to your state representative or state senator and start there, assuming the museum either hasn't told you anything or refuses to reply to you on this forum?

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 12/09/12 10:00
Author: CCMF

Spread out over the entire tax base/budget, your individual contribution to 1361 should work out to be about .04 cents.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 12/09/12 10:02
Author: challenging_grades

As a fellow resident of PA, I ask myself why would ask the people here who probably don't know themselves. If you ask this question and keep getting the same response or type of response, then maybe you should stop asking.

If you have the, "I THINK I HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW" attitude, take it else where and do something useful with it. Contact the museum. Contact your represenative and senators. Contact the governor. Here is PA's website http://www.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/pa_gov/20387

The "I THINK I HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW" attitude is just plain stupid for this forum. You are entitled to know nothing from this forum. If you can't or refuse take it to the appropriate people, then you are wasting your time.

In short, you do not have the right to know anything about this topic in relationship to this forum.

Date: 12/09/12 11:24
Author: rehunn

The Steam Forum, in general, is showing a total lack of Christmas spirit. Guess we could all be nice but
that would just ruin things.

Date: 12/09/12 11:44
Author: Tominde

WOW!!!! I saw the topic and thought maybe the world is indeed ending on 12/21. Imagine a Big Boy and the K4 coming together in the same week!!!!!!!! I guess the world isn't going to end.

Date: 12/09/12 11:47
Author: co614

In keeping with the Christmas season allow me to try and put it politely. This ill fated project was grossly mis-managed by the " leadership" in Altoona ( now mostly gone) and at Steamtown ( promoted laterally out of the way) from start to finish and after nearly $ 3 million taxpayer dollars were spent ended up producing a basket case of a zillion pieces scattered who knows where.

The chances of this locomotive ever seeing a return to service is as close to zero as one can get. Rick Geist the ex-State of Penn. legislator who kept getting taxpayer funding despite being warned that it was a black hole lost his last election and the odds of this project getting further financial support at the state level is non existent.

IMHO the best that can be hoped for is that someday perhaps they'll get sufficient leadership in Altoona to get her cosmetically put back together and put on display in the quarter roundhouse that I think is close to being finished??

Sad but true.

Ross Rowland

Date: 12/09/12 11:54
Author: DoctorThunder

Would have been better off if she never left the curve. I remember seeing her in pieces at Steamtown when I visited as a young guy... in 1995!

Date: 12/09/12 12:26
Author: Mgoldman

MagnumForce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would have been better off if she never left the
> curve. I remember seeing her in pieces at
> Steamtown when I visited as a young guy... in
> 1995!

Would've been better off if it was simply FIXED.

The Valley restored a burnt Chinese steam engine
converted to look like a New Haven engine in what,
2 years? The Grand Canyon restored 4960 in less
then 6 months. STRASBURG routinely rebuilds it's
fleet of 5 engines, business as usual. They also
dealt with the problem that came up with 1361 on
another engine from the LIRR.

Acceptable question (and expectation) as there
has yet to be any closure and last word was that
the engine was going to be restored to limited
low speed lower pressure operation.

You just never know... stranger things have
happened that we all thought never would or
would again.

/Mitch

Date: 12/09/12 16:50
Author: steam290

rehunn Wrote:
> The Steam Forum, in general, is showing a total
> lack of Christmas spirit. Guess we could all be
> nice but
> that would just ruin things.

Haha! I've been noticing this as well.

Date: 12/10/12 05:09
Author: WauhopM

Yeah you would think were all Philadelphia Eagles fans..............OOPS I AM ONE!

Date: 12/11/12 16:12
Author: CPRR

Just for the fun of it, what exactly is wrong with her, and what exactly needs to be done? How much money are we talking (not spent to date, but $$$ to fix the locomotive right) Who owns it?

Date: 12/11/12 18:13
Author: Mgoldman

Date: 10/11/11 21:46
Re: PRR 1361 K4s
Author: burlingtonjohn
WauhopM Wrote:
> I know i seem to be beating a dead horde here but
> DOES ANYONE know the status of this project or If
> the roundhouse in Altoona has been completed?

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,2586076

Best to simply ask - "what's new?"

/Mitch

Date: 12/11/12 22:27
Author: Realist

CPRR Wrote:
> what exactly needs to be done?

Not much aside from a new firebox roof sheet, new staybolts, and complete reassembly.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0527 seconds