Home Open Account Help 183 users online

Steam & Excursion > A much smaller SP shop switcher for Bayshore

Date: 12/14/12 23:42
A much smaller SP shop switcher for Bayshore
Author: TonyJ

Again from one of Bob Foley's albums is this photo of tiny 0-4-0T SP219 at Bayshore Roundhouse. The undated photo was taken by SP Engineer Bob Kennedy. On the side of the cab it reads "Bayshore Shops". What is really nice is it exists today at Traveltown in Los Angeles. Here is what I hope is the correct history. (I'm sure someone on this list knows more than I do.)

Built in November 1880 for service on the streets of San Francisco as Market Street, Park & Cliff RR #32 (a Central Pacific subsidiary) it later became Park & Ocean RR #2, and later going to Market Street Ry. in 1894. It was originally a coal burner, and in Dec. 1897 was converted to oil. It became Southern California Motor Road #20 in 1900.

In 1905 it was assigned to MofW service as Los Angeles Shops #5 in April 1905, later SP219 in March 1916. It saw service in 1922 at the Bayshore shop switcher and in 1923 it was retired and stored in Sacramento. (In Diebert and Strapac's "SP Steam Locomotive Compendium" it says SP #20 was retired in November 1919.) In 1939 it was restored and the initials "C.V.R.R." (for Cahuenga Valley Railroad) placed on the cab and shipped to Los Angeles for participation in the opening of the new Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal. It was returned to storage in Sacramento and eventually donated to the Pacific Coast Chapter of the R&LHS where it remained in storage until 1954 when it was donated by the Society to Traveltown and placed on the grounds there on 3/21/54.

Date: 12/15/12 01:06
Re: A much smaller SP shop switcher for Bayshore
Author: Evan_Werkema

More on the machine here:

http://www.laparks.org/grifmet/tt/htmgallery/gallery_loco/south20.htm
http://traveltown.org/projects/219.shtml

Quite a change in appearance over the years.

Date: 12/15/12 05:10
Author: LoggerHogger

Here are 2 views of the engine during the LA Union Terminal cermonies. As you can see, she was cleaned up quite well by the SP.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/12 05:49 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/15/12 05:38
Author: TonyJ

Many thanks for the additional photos and history.
Tony J.

Date: 12/15/12 07:30
Author: rrhistorian

I think this would be a great locomotive to make a replica (or two) of. It would be an economical way to haul a caboose and flatcar as a shop goat - and a open street car as a dummy.

Great photos, thank you for sharing them!

Date: 12/15/12 08:37
Author: patd3985

Cute little "dinky"!

Date: 12/17/12 23:31
Author: DNRY122

I think the streetcar in the second photo is Pacific Electric 00197, which became the West Hollywood sand car in the 1940's. It was bought by Jack Ferrier in 1955, and spent many years at Travel Town. The body was restored and placed on display in the basement of the LA County Museum of Natural History in Exposition Park.

Date: 12/19/12 14:27
Author: DNRY122

I just noticed that the "steam-critter" has an air compressor but no air brake hoses. Presumably it just had "straight air" for engine braking only.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0475 seconds