Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Steam & Excursion > Tale from the Orchard Supply & Hardware calendar (corre

Date: 12/18/12 20:44
Tale from the Orchard Supply & Hardware calendar (corre
Author: railstiesballast

While visiting Ted Kimball, who had once worked for the SP in the 1950s, I suggested we swing by OSH to get a 2013 calendar, and we did.
This is an annual gift from OSH (a building supply house chain not unlike a big Ace hardware or a small Lowes) to customers.
The sales clerk said they would appreciate a purchase but the calendars were free, so I got an LED flashlight and Ted got something or other.
2013 is paintings by Dave Winfield, with very accurate depictions of western (mostly SP) scenes. I like it.

Today Ted sent me a note. "Miss June" is the SP 1777, a 2-6-0, and he thought he recognized the number. Going back to his records he found that it was this engine that he got his fireman's seniority date on, on July 9, 1952, one day after he turned 18 and could become qualified. His note said "easy to fire this engine".

As always, the best part of railroading gets to be the people and the oral history. Thanks, Ted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/12 21:38 by railstiesballast.

Date: 12/19/12 00:17
Re: Tale from the Orchard Supply & Hardware calendar (c
Author: Steamjocky

Normally the smaller the engine, the easier it is to fire.

JDE

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0327 seconds