Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Steam & Excursion > Kloke Locomotive Works "York"

Date: 04/08/13 09:50
Kloke Locomotive Works "York"
Author: GAF1948

The Kloke Locomotive Works in Elgin, IL held an open house yesterday at its shop. The "York", a sister 4-4-0 to the previously completed "Leviathan" appeared to be all but complete. It is going to Pennsylvania to a group that will be running it between New Freedom and Hanover Jct. to recreate Lincoln's ride to deliver the Gettysburg Address.

Date: 04/08/13 09:54
Re: Kloke Locomotive Works "York"

The last photo shows the "Leviathan", minus its pilot but sporting a portrait of Lincoln. This was to depict its role in the Lincoln Funeral Train which is planned for 2015. Search for "The2015LincolnFuneralTrain" for more information on that project.

Date: 04/08/13 10:32
Author: ClubCar

Beautiful photos; thanks for posting. How are they coming with rebuilding the railroad up there in Pennsylvania? Does anyone know?

Date: 04/08/13 10:44
Author: TomPlatten

Too bad they don't undertake the building of a reproduction of Lincoln's "Funeral" car--or has somebody already done this!

Date: 04/08/13 11:46

Sorry, forgot to mention that Kloke IS building a "Lincoln Funeral Car" replica. He has the steel framing done which will be covered in wood to replicate that car.

Date: 04/08/13 13:01
Author: wag216

Outstanding ! thanks to all concerned. wag216

Date: 04/08/13 16:36
Author: OKTrainboys

Beautiful, just beautiful....
Replace all of today's deisels with 4-4-0's!! Oh wait, tractive effort might be a problem...

Date: 04/08/13 16:46
Author: YG

Thanks for the report and photos. This should get a lot of attention once they start operations.

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 04/08/13 17:43
Author: gra2472

I just wonder what the price tag is for one of these. Better save my penny's. I'm guessing around $1 Million

Date: 04/08/13 20:10
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Wow.....those are two gorgeous locomotives!
Simply awesome work by Kloke & co. wow.....
Replicating an era when beauty was very important
to locomotive builders. Talk about pride!
Thanks for the great photos of these stunning
locomotives!

Date: 04/09/13 04:35
Author: Keystone1

Any wild idea when target date for operation will start?

Date: 04/09/13 07:20

The website for the Pennsylvania operation ("SteamIntoHistory")states that the operation will start up "in 2013". Certainly the progress on the "York" would make that a realistic goal. I don't know what condition the track is in, as it has been dormant for some time.

Date: 04/09/13 10:37
Author: SNCSteve

Rare opportunity to ride behind the Leviathan on four special trips on the Saratoga & North Creek Railway on Sept. 7,8,14,15. 80 plus miles round trip along the Upper Hudson!

Date: 04/09/13 14:55
Author: wmry202

I live in glen rock pa, which is about halfway between hanover junction and new freedom Pa.. Bad ties have been marked and about 300 ties have showed up in glen rock next to the tracks. My understanding is it is supposed to start running in june in time for the 150th annaversary of the civil war at Gettysburg and that they will be using diesels at first until the steamer arrives.

Date: 04/10/13 09:29
Author: shavano

How much track do they have at the shop? Are they connected to live rail? How much running can they do there?

Date: 04/10/13 14:10

Just enough rail inside the shop to hold the locomotives. They plan on taking the York over to the nearby Fox River Trolley Museum (via flatbed truck) for testing, tentatively next week.

Date: 04/14/13 14:34
Author: SD45X

May 2013 Trains mag has more info on the goings on to happen.
And in the fun guide page R9 it has info to donate for the Funeral car.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0857 seconds