Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Steam & Excursion > Worthington Types B and BL Locomotive Feed Water Heater

Date: 07/14/13 06:00
Worthington Types B and BL Locomotive Feed Water Heater
Author: fltenwheeler

I am looking for information on Worthington Types B and BL Locomotive Feed Water Heaters.

I know that the external shape of the B and BL are different. Why is this?

How can one tell what size heater is installed? One could compare the size to the install compressor.

Are there any blueprints available?

Thanks

Tim

Date: 07/15/13 00:19
Re: Worthington Types B and BL Locomotive Feed Water He
Author: ts1457

fltenwheeler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are there any blueprints available?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim

Theses are the only ones I've found:

http://www.livesteamlocomotives.com/drawings/worthington.htm

They are for the BL-2 which only differs from the BL by using a piston valve from the SA feedwater heater components instead of a slide valve. The appearance is changed only in the upper right on the side elevation.

I have more information, but it's a little late tonight. Until then, you might want to look at this discussion from the archives:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,1002503,page=1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/13 01:43 by ts1457.

Date: 07/15/13 04:03

Thanks for the reply. I have the 1925 handbook BK-1608-E for the type B and BL heaters. But it does not list the physical size of the pumps. I would like to find the width and height for the different size pumps. I know that the #4 and larger sizes had 4 check valves instead of 2. This makes the check valve chambers protrude farther than the steam cylinder valve gear. You can see this in the attached pictures.

Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/13 04:06 by fltenwheeler.

Date: 06/22/14 05:11

I am still looking for information on Worthington feed water heaters. I finely found a picture of the engine I would like to model in 1 1/2" scale. Can someone tell me what size heater is installed?

Thanks

Tim

[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.083 seconds