Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Steam & Excursion > Cement Hauler in the Brazilian Jungle

Date: 08/01/13 09:29
Cement Hauler in the Brazilian Jungle
Author: africansteam

The Perus Pirapora was a 60cm railroad that serviced a mine and cement plant outside Sao Paulo Brazil. My visit was in September of 1979 and the railroad operated for only two more years before operations shut down.

If you liked narrow gauge operations smaller than the traditional 3-foot gauge systems, the Perus Pirapora had more than enough to satisfy your interests with wood burning tender engines, side and saddle tank locos, link & pin couplers, wooden passenger cars and a derelict Model-A rail bus. In addition, part of the shop complex was an open-air affair. There was also a steep grade on the line. For me, its closest competition was the 75cm common carrier VFCO operating out of Sao Joao del Rei in the state of Minas Gerias.

Here we have three views of Baldwin 2-6-2T No. 14, originally built in 1913 as construction number 40675 for the Companhia Paulista (the same folks that would later operate Little Joes and V8’s) as Number 910. It is one of seven locos purchased by the Companhia Brasileira de Cimento Perus Pirapora in 1960-61. CBCPP initially removed the side tanks and added the tender, but later reinstalled the tanks. She is seen here at Cajamar pulling loads out of the mine, The fourth photo shows the “woodpile” with a flatcar load of mine timbers and a cart with smaller wood for fueling the locomotives.

The line is now slowly being developed as a tourist operation. For a detailed history and a complete roster of locomotives see: http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/trains/brazil5

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/13 09:52 by africansteam.

Date: 08/01/13 09:30
Re: Cement Hauler in the Brazilian Jungle
Author: africansteam

The woodpile.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 08/01/13 11:25
Author: railstiesballast

Fun, and note the almost universal use of hard hats.

Date: 08/01/13 13:06
Re: Perus Pirapora
Author: Milepost_130

Very nice. The folks attempting to revive Perus Pirapora also maintain a page on Facebook. Search for "Ferrovia Perus Pirapora."

Date: 08/01/13 17:27
Author: YG

Good post & photos!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 08/01/13 20:12
Author: milfordgap

Really neat.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds