Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Steam & Excursion > FIRST STEAM!!!!! In over 50 years, Santa Cruz Portland

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 08/05/13 09:41
FIRST STEAM!!!!! In over 50 years, Santa Cruz Portland
Author: PorterNo2

A major milestone was achieved yesterday with the first steaming of Santa Cruz Portland Cement 2 when we lit her off for the first time in over 50 years. First fire was lit at 11:05 am, Sunday August 4th 2013. SCPC 2 is an example of a locomotive that by all rights should not have come back to steam. With a bad boiler barrel, firebox, tubesheets, dome, and and braces, she was not a good candidate for rebuilding. Her tires were worn beyond condemning, crown brasses were worn down to less than 1/4", all her frame bolts in her cross members were sheared, saddle tank was paper thin, etc.

Now with a mostly new boiler, and almost totally rebuilt running gear, she is almost ready to run. This first steam test was conducted without insulation, or a saddle tank in order to be able to inspect the boiler exterior under steam. During this test we also blew the cylinder saddle out preparatory to installing the slide valves and valve chests. And of course, we tested the original HK Porter whistle so kindly donated to the project by David Gould!

Around this sad engine coalesced a group of friends and colleagues, that saw the good in this basket case. Major work began in march of 2009 one day a week, and about 4.5 years later SCPC 2 is in steam!

I can say that this has truly been a dream come true. This locomotive sat about three miles from my childhood home in Stockton, CA and I used to frequently play on the locomotive as a young child. Little did I know we would ever be at this point together.

This achievement would never have been possible without the desire of my friends to see this dream become a reality. My hat is off to them, for never giving up, and for believing in this locomotive. John Graddon, Adam Phillips, Paul Moser, Chris Donhost, Zeb Darrah, Josh Kaivo, Jason Hill, BW Garron, Kevin Snell, Andy Walker, Karl Klontz, Matt Hall, Marshall Goodloe, George Lavacot, Brian Wise, The PLA Steam Crew, Jon Brewster, John and Paula Pappas, and so many others, you have made this possible!!! And of course my wife Miranda, for seeing the good in all this!!!

I will add photos shortly, thank you for your interest, and I hope to see you all in Mineral soon...

Best,

Stathi

Posted from iPhone

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/13 10:17 by PorterNo2.

Date: 08/05/13 09:58
Re: FIRST STEAM!!!!! In over 50 years, Santa Cruz Port

Photo One, first fire in her belly in over 50 years!!!

Photo Two, the power of steam, clearing the steam passages of any contaminant and debris.

Photo Three, side view of clearing the saddle.

Date: 08/05/13 10:06
Author: fehorse1

Congratulations Stathi! Will look forward to seeing her run.
Pete

Date: 08/05/13 10:14

Photo Four, some of the chiggen crew, left to right Jason Hill, Karl Klontz, Stathi Pappas, Adam Phillips, John Graddon, and David Wilhite. For those not in the know, SCPC 2 was a billboard for a fried chicken restaurant, hence Andy Walker purchased the appropriate head gear for the occasion...

Photo Five, triumphant

Photo Six, gratuitous shot of Polson 70 on the passenger train, I cannot begin to tell you how much of a moment it was to whistle off at 70 as she pulled our passenger train up the hill to the shop/museum on the last train. Two engines brought back from the dead in two years, a very emotional experience...

Date: 08/05/13 10:36
Author: Notch16

Brilliant work, Stathi! Can't remember how many times I passed that sweet little lokie on the way to and from Fresno. Last time I was in Mineral it was a frame, wheels, and cylinders sitting outside. And that feels like about a week and a half ago.

Many congrats on the newest member of the coolest fleet in preservation!

~ BZ

Date: 08/05/13 10:43
Author: Inthehole

Stathi, congratulations. Hard to believe since the day you bought it and after many moves, it will move on its own. Can't wait.

Date: 08/05/13 10:50
Author: YWRR19

Congratulations on all your hard work! What a great moment!

Matt Starman
Greenleaf, ID

Date: 08/05/13 11:08
Author: 1oldmotorman

Thanks for all the time and effort,Job well done.

Congratulations
Dave Tadlock
Railtown 1897

Date: 08/05/13 11:14
Author: Hillcrest

Great news Stathi, congrats to you and the Chiggen Crew! I'm totally jazzed...

Cheers, Dave

Date: 08/05/13 11:31
Author: patd3985

Well Stathi, It's time for me to "Pass the torch" on to you! For over 50 years, from my old Navy days, I was known as "El Hombre de Gallina". (The Chicken Man). Now it is up to you to keep this legacy live! Do it proud, my lad, as I'm sure you will! Just remember,....."Don't count your hatches before they chicken" and also keep in mind that "The Chicken Man.... He's everywhere, He's everywhere!" Congrats to you and hats off to all involved!..........Pat

Date: 08/05/13 12:12
Author: Frisco1522

Good work guys. Nothing like that first fire feeling.
Now you can look forward to putting her the rest of the way back together and moving her under steam, another very dramatic moment.
Thanks for posting your progress.

Date: 08/05/13 12:50
Author: zephyrus

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

So many years did I see that poor engine lying there at Pollardville. Even instigated my own run at trying to get it for preservation, but she obviously ended up in much more capable hands.

Great to see. Can't wait to watch her run. Who do I have to kill to get a cab ride???? :-)

Z

Date: 08/05/13 12:50
Author: Harlock

With the steam chest caps off, you can generate more down force!

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 08/05/13 12:57
Author: Milepost_130

Very cool! Thanks for posting.

Date: 08/05/13 13:17
Author: ble692

She sure looks a lot different from the last time I saw her on August 6th, 2005...

Who would have ever though things would turn out this way. Hats to everyone involved in this project.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/13 13:18 by ble692.

Date: 08/05/13 13:39
Author: YG

Fabulous news sir! We owe you and everyone who was involved in this effort a standing ovation!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 08/05/13 14:09
Author: SCPCno2

Hey Stathi, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

We've come a long way from the day we went and checked the Porter out before you bought it!
And I'm remembering all the steps since then: conserving, moving her to the Central California Traction yard, working on her there, the move to the northwest, and all the work since.
It has been quite a journey, full of fun experiences and great friends, and it is amazing how the engine is now almost done!
You are to be congratulated for your vision, skills, and leadership. And all the friends who worked on the Porter are to be congratulated for their vision, friendship, and hard work.
Another steam engine has been brought back and lives!! This is a joyful day for all lovers of steam.
Thanks for having the dream Stathi!

John

The Porter at Central California Traction; work day with Stathi, John, and our 1926 Model T truck:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/13 14:18 by SCPCno2.

Date: 08/05/13 14:50
Author: Digger

It is always a good idea to remember where you came from. What was once a bucket-o-parts to a Steamin-Chiggen: congratulations to you, Stathi! Thanks for welcoming all of us to join you for the ride. Just wanted to share a few from the CCT yard in Stockton when you were first able to get your head into the, well...

Chris Donhost
Vacaville, CA

Date: 08/05/13 16:31
Author: nycman

Congratulations Stathi, and all the crew. You, Adam and John look the Chiggen part, and I see the chiggen on the front coupler. Can't wait to get back up there again.

Date: 08/05/13 18:36
Author: lynnpowell

PorterNo2 says,
This locomotive sat about three miles from my childhood home in Stockton, CA and I used to frequently play on the locomotive as a young child.

I grew up only half-a-mile from the Chicken Kitchen and this locomotive. After it arrived on the property, I did my share of climbing and crawling around on it! Other kids saw fit to vandalize the cab interior, so bad that Mr. Pollard, the owner, eventually equipped the cab with a couple anti-vandalism devises.....bee hives!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0758 seconds