Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steam Hauling Logs On Simpson Timber - 1994!

Date: 08/12/13 04:12
Steam Hauling Logs On Simpson Timber - 1994!
Author: LoggerHogger

While Simpson Timber ran it's last steam train with Baldwin 2-8-2 #9 in 1956 when the line fully converted to diesel, there have been a few rare log movements with steam since then thanks to Pete Replinger and his ex: Hammond 2-8-2T #16. The last logs pulled from Camp Grisdale when that cam p shut in 1985 were pulled by Pete's #16 in deep snow as a fitting end to that famous logging camp.

In 1994 there was another opportunity to do some log hauling with #16 for a few miles out of Shelton, Washington and we jumped at the chance. We spent some time at Knight Siding doing run-buys for those of us in attendance. We were low on water, but Pete was gracious enough to take us out to this pond at Mile Post 4 to do some last shots.

I had located this spot during some shooting I did with the Simpson diesels and I thought it would be great with #16 and her log train. The old growth stumps with the spring board notches in them really set the scene. Pete and fireman John Taubeneck put on a fine show for us as we see here, With the last of the water in the saddle tank used up, we headed back for town with one of the very last steam powered log trains on Simpson Timber.

#16 lives on today using the name and number of her original owner, Crosset Western #10. She operates during the summer months on the Chelatchie Prarie RR near Battleground, Washington.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/13 05:35 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 08/12/13 05:18
Re: Steam Hauling Logs On Simpson Timber - 1994!
Author: refarkas

Thanks for posting this piece of logging history. Without your comments, I'd have thought this was a photo freight. You certainly picked a scenic location.
Bob

Date: 08/12/13 07:10
Author: thehighwayman

LoggerHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
there have been a few rare
> log movements with steam since then thanks to Pete
> Replinger and his ex: Hammond 2-8-2T #16. The

> really set the scene. Pete and fireman John
> Taubeneck put on a fine show for us as we see

I am used to seeing the names mentioned above, along with Martin's, on the 4L list. I know all three gentlemen are a wealth of knowledge about steam and logging. I didn't know just how deeply involved they are! Thanks Martin for all your excellent postings and thanks to men like Pete Replinger and John Taubeneck for their commitment to historic preservation!

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 08/12/13 08:05
Author: Auburn_Ed

I hate to bring stuff like this up, but wasn't someone in Shelton killed during operation/restoration of a steam locomotive in Shelton back in the '90s?

Ed

Date: 08/12/13 08:09

We did loose a friend of ours in an incident with #16. The engine was in no way at fault. It was pure operator error. Nothing failed on the engine.

Martin

Date: 08/12/13 08:43
Author: YG

Great image!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 08/12/13 09:57
Author: fehorse1

Martin,

You're right about 1956 being the last year for logs being hauled behind Simpson steam, but it's a little known fact that in 1957 or 1958 the 9-spot was called to duty when #1201 derailed on the Camp Govey branch line. She left town with the steam crane and came back with the 1201 in tow!

Pete

Date: 08/12/13 10:22

Pete,

I did not know #9 lasted past 1956. When did she finally go to scrap?

Martin

Date: 08/12/13 12:07

Not until about 1959!
Pete

Date: 08/12/13 12:37

Dang! What a shame!

Martin

Date: 08/12/13 18:34

Incidentally, when I fired up the 16 the following year (1995), I had permission to grab 10 log loads at Knights.
But since there were no railfans around with cameras, I didn't take them far. I did manage to get a few shots myself, but that doesn't count since I was running her. I couldn't believe the speed I was gaining going up hill past Knights compared to the diesels. Believe me, it was tempting to keep on going seeing what she would do!
Pete

Date: 08/13/13 05:51

Too bad no one was around to see and film that 1995 run!

Martin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1253 seconds