Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Steam & Excursion > Watering The Fire Train On Donner Pass- SP #2176!

Date: 09/24/13 04:10
Watering The Fire Train On Donner Pass- SP #2176!
Author: LoggerHogger

One of the unique operations on Southern Pacific's Donner Pass was the ever present Fire Trains that were kept hot and ready 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. These trains were SP's best protection against fires in the miles of snow sheds that lined the track over Donner Pass. One unique aspect of the fire trains was that when they were called out to a fire they did not have to observe any speed restrictions on the line, they simply were allowed to proceed at any speed the engineer deemed prudent as long as he kept his whistle blowing constantly while en-route.

One of these fire trains was headed in the late teens by SP 4-6-0 #2176 as we see in this fine candid photo. #2176 was turned out by Schenectady in 1888 and was not converted to oil until 1917. She has been converted with pumps and fire nozzles for fire train duty by the time this photo was taken. The crew here is taking a break for the photographer while the last water tank is being filled from the stand pipe in the rear. When this process is complete, they will re-board the engine and train and will then take her back to her spotting position to wait for the call the action that could come if one of the big cab-forwards manages to catch one of the wooden snow sheds on fire again.

#2176 was finally retired and scrapped at Sacramento in 1929.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/13 04:28 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 09/24/13 09:02
Re: Watering The Fire Train On Donner Pass- SP #2176!
Author: spdaylight

Martin

I learn something new from you about railroading from bygone eras almost every day . . . . keep 'em coming!

Craig
http://mcmrailvideos.com/

Date: 09/24/13 11:18
Author: YG

Another fascinating bit of rail history...and a photo for illustration!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 09/24/13 15:15
Author: TCnR

Any thoughts as to where on Donner the photo would be?

The hill in the background reminds me of Yuba Pass, but I don't know offhand where the water plugs were at.

Date: 09/24/13 19:58
Author: StrandedTexan

Excellent photo, Martin! Might you by chance happen to have any photos of sister fire fighting locomotive 2248?

Date: 09/25/13 06:14

Like this? Guy Dunscomb photo taken in 1939.

Martin

Date: 09/25/13 14:13
Author: nycman

On 2248, what are the devices above the classification lights, hose nozzles? Did they have pumping capability on the engine?

Date: 09/25/13 14:30

Jim,

Those indeed are the nozzles for the water. The pump is between the domes.

Martin

Date: 09/25/13 20:50
Author: gonx

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any thoughts as to where on Donner the photo would
> be?
>
> The hill in the background reminds me of Yuba
> Pass, but I don't know offhand where the water
> plugs were at.

Stanford Center Siding. It is facing EB as it probably came from Andover where it was kept hot during summer.

The 2248 was taken in the Truckee yard.

Date: 09/25/13 22:04
Author: TCnR

Awesome, thanks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0499 seconds