Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Steam & Excursion > abandoned shay

Date: 11/21/13 22:10
abandoned shay
Author: gra2472

I once heard a story about an abandoned shay at the top of the Yosemite Lumber Company incline near El Portal California. I've been wondering if it is still there.

Date: 11/22/13 04:39
Re: abandoned shay
Author: LoggerHogger

All the Shays of the Yosemite Lumber Co. were left in camp when the company shut down in 1942. They were sold to a scrapper who cut up all but one of the engines. 3-Truck Shay #4 was saved and went to a scrap yard in Stockton where it sat until the early 1970's. It went to a few museums and now is at the logging museum at Arnold, CA.

There are no Shays left in the woods logged by the Yosemite Lumber. Co.

martin

Date: 11/22/13 08:08
Author: africansteam

A bit more info on Shay No. 4.

http://sierraloggingmuseum.org/shay-locomotive-status/

Cheers,
Jack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/13 08:09 by africansteam.

Date: 11/22/13 08:47
Author: gra2472

Thanks, knew the 4 was in arnold but didn't realize it was the last one. Funny how rumors from 20 years ago still float around.

Date: 11/22/13 09:22
Author: CPRR

Are there truly any locomotives sitting in forests in CA? I heard of one in Aptos, but has never been seen, photographed. What about the ng one sitting in a tunnel on the old Santa Cruz line above Felton?

Date: 11/22/13 23:55
Author: coach

Are there any such relics sitting on the north end across the American River Canyon from "Cable" Point, northeast of Placerville / Camino, CA? I drove out to the old, high cable crossing of that huge chasm, and wondered what might still be left over on the other side?

Date: 11/25/13 07:55
Author: TonyJ

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are there truly any locomotives sitting in forests
> in CA? I heard of one in Aptos, but has never been
> seen, photographed. What about the ng one sitting
> in a tunnel on the old Santa Cruz line above
> Felton?

I also heard of one being somewhere around Aptos, but I've read of unsuccessful expeditions to find it. A narrow gauge engine inside one of the tunnels is a new one to me.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0394 seconds