Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Steam & Excursion > Poor Substitute for LoggerHogger

Date: 04/15/14 05:14
Poor Substitute for LoggerHogger
Author: gbmott

I can't even begin to touch the treasure trove that is Martin's, but to give a quick fix to those suffering logging withdrawal during his absence here are a couple shots from the Warren & Saline River railroad in central Arkansas. Both the logs in and the lumber out were handled through the Rock Island connection at Hermitage, 15.6 miles from the mill at Warren. The locomotive went on to semi-stardom at the Reader Railroad and is currently out of service, but supposedly about to be overhauled, at the Great Smoky Railroad in North Carolina. I think 1702 looked best at this period in its life, Americanized but not "fancied-up". As far as I know this locomotive plus several on the Alaska Railroad, one of which is currently under restoration, were the only ones of the huge number build during WWII for the Army Transportation Corps to have ever been bought for commercial use in the US. I've always been a little surprised that more shortlines didn't make use of them after the war. Both photos taken 11-28-60.

Date: 04/15/14 08:19
Re: Poor Substitute for LoggerHogger
Author: steam290

I think she looks good like this too. I'm not that into the off center smokebox door, but all of the other details look great. She's a nice rugged little engine. Does anyone know the major differences between her and 610 at TVRM?

Date: 04/15/14 10:27
Author: gbmott

The offset smokebox door is a result of having been originally built with the air compressor mounted on the smokebox front. TVRM 610 was built later (1952). It turned out to be a one-of-a-kind, but it was built during the Korean War and I have always assumed it was intended as a prototype of an updated version of the WWII locomotive.

Gordon

Date: 04/15/14 14:01
Author: PatternOfFailure

To me she looks like a caricature of a steam locomotive. Strange proportions and exaggerations, somewhere between Ward Kimball's Casey Jr. and a Lionel's prewar #259E. Though certain not as bad as some of her Army sisters.

Date: 04/15/14 16:30
Author: shay2977

Breathing oxygen WOW like old home days I worked Warren to McGehee AR for Delta Southern thanks Matt Ritchie

Date: 04/15/14 20:56
Author: coach

Notice how the front steps on both sides are different.

I have a recording of this engine on one of my MOBILE FIDELITY LP albums.

Date: 04/17/14 06:00
Author: sixbit

She's big, she's ugly and she ought to be running in O27 with a searchlight car first in the consist.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0347 seconds