Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Steam & Excursion > Why and How's for Steam Operations

Date: 04/16/14 18:59
Why and How's for Steam Operations
Author: rrman6

Here I see the CN 7470 is now bound for restoration and inspection. I'm just curious how some operations can restore and operate steam, albeit, some others who have spent time and money to restore, then only have to fold when liability insurance and lawyers drive the last nail in the coffin. Does money actually speak or is it partly due to location and the public.

I know the SLSF 1522 was restored in 1988, only to take long-term retirement in 2002. I always thought I'd heard it was due to liabilities and insurance fears, but I'm not sure this is correct. I only wish more steam could operate without these fears, but know it takes lots of "greens". Evidently the AT&SF 2926 in Albuqurque is bound for operation with no such fears.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/14 20:19 by rrman6.

Date: 04/16/14 19:24
Re: Why and How's for Steam Operations
Author: tomstp

It is mostly money: just rebuilding one is expensive, FRA rules cost money, lack of income from operating the engine vs engine fuel and water and lube expense. Lack of passengers cars that comply with todays requirements and furnish enough income, cost of insurance and railroad crews. Plus the owners must have a railroad who will let them run on their track. It really is a daunting task and few are able to master it all.

Date: 04/16/14 21:02
Author: Realist

Some don't fully grasp what they are getting into where costs are concerned, and thus can't/don't plan, budget, and fundraise accordingly.

Insurance costs vary from year to year, as well.

Date: 04/17/14 04:57
Author: Bob3985

I am sure Mr. Booster can assist with your question on the situation with the 1522. There are a whole myriad of reasons that would lead to the inoperability of a locomotive, one serious reason being expenses. Remember too the economy is starting to turn around and class one railroads do not have the capacity freedom to allow one to tie up a mainline for long. I know when I was on the crew we would plan our trips to cause the least headache to the railroad and local officers and that seemed to work quite well.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0503 seconds