Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP 844 will NOT pull CFD special.

Current Page:1 of 6

Date: 04/21/14 13:01
UP 844 will NOT pull CFD special.
Author: upheritage6

Trains magazine just said that UP 844 sadly wont be running this year.
http://trn.trains.com/Railroad%20News/News%20Wire/2014/04/Tickets%20available%20for%20Union%20Pacific%20E9%20excursion.aspx
this confirms it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/14 13:12 by upheritage6.

Date: 04/21/14 13:04
Re: UP 844 will NOT run this year.
Author: upheritage6

now the link should work.

Date: 04/21/14 13:11
Author: Spoony81

upheritage6 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trains magazine just said that UP 844 sadly wont
> be running this year.
> http://trn.trains.com/Railroad%20News/News%20Wire/
> 2014/04/Tickets%20available%20for%20Union%20Pacifi
> c%20E9%20excursion.aspx
> this confirms it

Article just says it won't pull the Cheyenne Frontier Days train, it says nothing about running at all for the whole year. Very misleading thread headline on your part

Date: 04/21/14 13:12
Author: kurt765

The article confirms that 844 will not pull a trip that is intended to ferry the E9's back to Cheyenne. It says 844 normally pulls the trip, which doesn't make sense since the trip seems to be about returning the E9's, but that 844 is "out of service."
Would UP have normally used 844 to tow the E9's back to Cheyenne after they have been out somewhere?

Also, article doesn't mention anything about the rest of the year and I looked at UPSteam.com and found no mention of anything scheduled other than the 4014 move.

Don't worry, though, this thread will likely soon descend into a tirade about who is personally responsible for 844 not running this or any other completely unannounced trips.

-K

Date: 04/21/14 13:28
Author: CP_M260

The author of this thread has a habitual problem of posting false information, and blatantly lying about issues in which he has no accurate knowledge of, here on TO. He has stirred up dust a few times here on the steam board, but none of his predictions have came to fruition yet.

-Dalton

Date: 04/21/14 13:35
Author: HotWater

CP_M260 Wrote:
> The author of this thread has a habitual problem
> of posting false information, and blatantly lying
> about issues in which he has no accurate knowledge
> of, here on TO. He has stirred up dust a few times
> here on the steam board, but none of his
> predictions have came to fruition yet.
>
> -Dalton

Agreed, but this time the author is quite correct about 844 NOT being available for the July outing of the Annual Cheyenne Frontier Days Special. The DDA40X, #6936, and probably the "E Units" should be handling this year's operation.

Date: 04/21/14 13:45
Author: kwo

This article is about the excursion on the 20th (normally for the Cheyenne Depot Museum/Sherman Hill Model RR Club), whereas the Denver Post excursion (the big one that sells out in 10 minutes or less) runs on the 19th. It wouldn't surprise me if 844 pulled that one from Denver to Cheyenne (for PR), then the E-units returned the train to Denver and led this back.

We shall see.
~wko

Date: 04/21/14 13:52
Author: EastRailfan

kwo Wrote:
> It wouldn't surprise me if 844 pulled that one from Denver to
> Cheyenne (for PR), then the E-units returned the
> train to Denver and led this back.

And what's going to be pulling the 844, since it's out of service due to boiler problems?

Jeff

Date: 04/21/14 13:53

kwo Wrote:
It wouldn't
surprise me if 844 pulled that one from Denver to
Cheyenne (for PR), then the E-units returned the
train to Denver and led this back.

> ~wko

Apparently you missed the part about 844 being OUT OF SERVICE!!!!

The reason that the "E units", and probably the DDA40X, are handling the passenger train consist BACK TO CHEYENNE, is they will also be handling the passenger consist from Cheyenne to Denver on the "deadhead" move. They will then operate the Cheyenne Frontier Days Special from Denver to Cheyenne on Saturday morning, then return back to Denver on Saturday afternoon/evening.

Date: 04/21/14 14:24
Author: Realist

3+ years of little or no attention to important things. But plenty of time to shine the chrome.

Date: 04/21/14 15:07
Author: NWClassJ

Wow...the 3985 and now the 844 down due to problems/maintenance.....sad news to hear.

Date: 04/21/14 15:22
Author: JohnMcIvor

Denver Post website now quotes E9's will be heading the train on July 19th. http://cfdtrain.com/CFDTrain/Consist.html
John McIvor
http://svsfilm.com

Date: 04/21/14 15:37
Author: UP6936

The E's are pulling the trip for the Denver Post and the return trip on Sunday for the Sherman Hill Club.

Date: 04/21/14 16:12
Author: 5-String

NWClassJ Wrote:
> Wow...the 3985 and now the 844 down due to
> problems/maintenance.....sad news to hear.

At the Rocky Mountain Toy Train Show, Mr. Dickens answered a question about when 844 would run and said this spring. kwo's notes: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,3340069,page=1

Were there unforeseen problems?

Date: 04/21/14 16:14
Author: WyoRail

More info on the return trip at http://shermanhillrails.org

Date: 04/21/14 16:18

5-String Wrote:

> At the Rocky Mountain Toy Train Show, Mr. Dickens
> answered a question about when 844 would run and
> said this spring. kwo's notes:
> http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,
> 3340069,page=1
>
> Were there unforeseen problems?

Nope. By the time of that train show, he knew of the internal boiler problems. So,,,,,,,, I guess he didn't tell the truth did he?

Date: 04/21/14 17:04
UP E-units return to glory!
Author: RuleG

upheritage6 Wrote:
> Trains magazine just said that UP 844 sadly wont
> be running this year.

The Trains.com Newsire article states matter-of-factly "Union Pacific 4-8-4 No. 844 normally pulls the trips, but the engine is currently out of service." This statement does not contain any sadness nor is not any expression of sadness in the text or tone elsewhere in the article.

While it is understandable that steam fans would be disappointed, other rail enthusiasts would be thrilled by the opportunity to ride behind and/or see a set of E-units pull a matched set of passenger cars over a main line. I know I am not alone in believing that a matched streamliner speeding over a main line is one of the grandest sights in railroading.* Yes, public main line steam excursions have become somewhat rare in recent years, but excursions with E-units are even rarer.

If I lived anywhere near Denver, I would have already purchased my tickets. However, since I live in the East, from 2001 through 2011 or 2012, I took every opportunity I could to either ride behind or watch Bennet Levin's PRR E-units on excursions in Pennsylvania.

*This must includes many UP fans, as the Union Pacific Historical Society magazine is "The Steamliner."

Date: 04/21/14 17:31
Re: UP E-units return to glory!
Author: WrongWayMurphy

No one asked me but if they did I would tell them to maintain/repair 844 to running condition before
even thinking about assembling a train with cutely numbered locomotives to fetch the 4014. My mere
3000 shares of UP stock don't allow me to have a say though.

Date: 04/21/14 17:40

ArgyleEagle Wrote:
> No one asked me but if they did I would tell them
> to maintain/repair 844 to running condition before
>
> even thinking about assembling a train with cutely
> numbered locomotives to fetch the 4014. My mere
> 3000 shares of UP stock don't allow me to have a
> say though.

Sorry to say, it really isn't quite THAT simple. You can only put so many people inside the boiler to needle scale all the crap out of it. Also, since they had to cut the front tube sheet in order to pull out all the flues/tubes, THAT will have to be replaced/repaired prior to reinstalling all new flues/tubes. Then there is the "issue" with the tender internal baffle plates, which have also been damaged as a result of the change made in the boiler water chemical treatment program.

It is truly a very, very sad situation!

Date: 04/21/14 17:42
Author: glendale

ArgyleEagle Wrote:
> No one asked me but if they did I would tell them
> to maintain/repair 844 to running condition before
>
> even thinking about assembling a train with cutely
> numbered locomotives to fetch the 4014. My mere
> 3000 shares of UP stock don't allow me to have a
> say though.

I don't think even UP could have dreamed of the positive publicity they would receive by the 4014 restoration. And I bet 4014 is on the front burner now.

Current Page:1 of 6

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0961 seconds