Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Steam & Excursion > Nevada Copper Belt Shops Before Abandonment-1946!

Date: 04/22/14 03:52
Nevada Copper Belt Shops Before Abandonment-1946!
Author: LoggerHogger

Mason, Nevada was the location for the shops and servicing facility for the Nevada Copper Belt Railroad. By October 1946, when Bob Hanft visited to take this photo, the NCB had filed for abandonment and the end was in sight.

Still housed in the neat and trim enginehouse was ALCO 2-8-0 #5, the last steam power on the 40-mile long railroad. The line was built in 1909 as a common carrier who hauled mostly mine equipment and products as it's freight.

Soon after this photo was taken, the NCB #5 and the lines caboose would be sold to the Virginia & Truckee to help that line close out it's operation for the last few years. The scrappers would descend on Mason, Nevada and all to soon the shops and track of the NCB would be gone for all time.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/14 04:01 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 04/22/14 05:21
Re: Nevada Copper Belt Shops Before Abandonment-1946!
Author: Keystone1

Nice tonality. Look at the warm sky tone.

Date: 04/22/14 06:41
Author: trainrider47

Martin,

The second tank has a spout that looks like an oil filler, but that's a rather unusual tank for oil. Was the line coal or oil burning?

Michael Allen

Date: 04/22/14 06:50
Author: TonyJ

Thanks Martin. I think this is my first look at the NCB shops.

Date: 04/22/14 07:13
Author: LoggerHogger

Mike,

The tank on the left is indeed an oil tank for the engines. They burned oil for most of their years.

Martin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0335 seconds