Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Steam & Excursion > Interesting Article On Issues Facing Cass Scenic RR.

Date: 04/22/14 09:48
Interesting Article On Issues Facing Cass Scenic RR.
Author: LoggerHogger

While this article draws no conclusions, it does point out some of the issues facing Cass Scenic RR.

http://pocahontastimes.com/future-of-cass-railroad-questioned-on-social-media/

Martin

Date: 04/22/14 11:00
Re: Interesting Article On Issues Facing Cass Scenic RR
Author: Harlock

It sounds like the main issue is that some anonymous person is making a mountain out of a molehill with lots of conjecture and hand wringing.

From the article, it seems like the state is trying to figure out how to lessen the impact of the sustained losses taken on the railroad, and perhaps shuffling it into another department where the losses are covered by other things or managed more efficiently may help. It may also be more appropriate for a department more familiar with railroads to run a railroad.

In the end, no matter what department it falls under, they have to decide whether they want to run the railroad at a loss for the benefit of the public or not. The bill for the tie replacement and general operating cost will not go away under any circumstance.

The various thoughts to connect it to this or that are interesting and could make a difference. I have been to Cass and I can take a wild guess (this is my very own conjecture now) that their main asset is also their main problem - their isolation. They are not near a large urban center so they do not get the kind of traffic needed to run in the black. The nearest large towns, Richmond, Washington, Greensborough, Pittsburgh, etc. are all 4 - 5 hours away.

Whereas an outfit like Roaring Camp has ready access to several million people nearby, the bulk of them within a 40 minute drive making it an easy day trip. (that I did many times growing up) They also have much less track to maintain, and an aggressive program of events at base camp and the buildings to support it. (Brette Hart Hall etc.) The Clarke family has done an admirable job of keeping it going.

The Nevada Northern has this same issue and through 24/7 fundraising efforts they manage to keep it going. The ticket sales by themselves do not cover the costs of operations by any stretch. (though that's really true of most full scale operations including the D&S - the gift shop makes up most of the profits)

-M

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/14 11:03 by Harlock.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds