Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Steam & Excursion > The Final Touches!!! SCPC 2 Goes to California!!!

Date: 04/22/14 20:55
The Final Touches!!! SCPC 2 Goes to California!!!
Author: PorterNo2

It has been a while since I have updated the TO community regarding the latest work on Santa Cruz Portland Cement 2. The last couple months have seen a great deal of work on the engine getting ready for her grand debut at the Niles Canyon Steam Fest this June. The winter and spring work have included a new set of shoes and wedges (Photo One), retramming the locomotive so she is perfectly square now, fixing the minor throttle and valve chest leaks, and retiming the engine. While all this was happening, Team Chiggen South (Matt and Rick Hall and Marshall Goodloe) drove up to Mineral and installed the new windows and doors in the cab. Made of tempered glass and old growth white oak, these are a work of art. At the same time we installed the canvas cab roof membrane, and Jason Hill installed the narrow band AAR radio system so that SCPC 2 can always get track and time, anywhere she is! On his off hours, Brian repainted the tank preparatory to lettering. Dean hand cut the painting templates for the lettering, and Brian and I carefully hand painted the lettering using a small chisel brush Just like HK Porter in 1909. And for the first time in at least 90 years, Santa Cruz Portland Cement #2 carries her proud road name of the largest cement producer in the world at the time. This project has been a wonderful experience for all of us, and I hope that all of you can come see us at the Niles Canyon Railway in June. And I will provide another update soon, as even greater possibilities are in the works currently for this little engine. For those wanting more information regarding the project, please check us out at:

www.scpc2.com

or on facebook at:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Santa-Cruz-Portland-Cement-2/581766345184444

Best,

Stathi

Efstathios I. Pappas, MS
Chief Mechanical Officer
Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad

Date: 04/22/14 20:57
Re: The Final Touches!!! SCPC 2 Goes to California!!!
Author: PorterNo2

and a cab shot as well as the company logo....

Date: 04/22/14 20:58
Author: F40PHR231

Excellent work; she is looking FANTASTIC!!

Date: 04/22/14 21:07
Author: nycman

That's terrific, Stathi and she looks great. I hope I can make it to Niles Canyon for her debut.

Date: 04/22/14 21:19
Author: zephyrus

Pure awesome. She sure has come a long way from the parking lot in Pollardville.

Z

Date: 04/22/14 21:23
Author: SCPCno2

This is a great report and the photos are great too.
The restoration and resurrection of this 1909 Porter is an inspiration for anyone who truly loves steam locomotives and their history and technology.
I am so glad she was restored to her 1909 look.
Truly, there are so many really good people who have helped on this project. They are unforgettable, and I congratulate you and all of them on the beautiful job you all have done.
Bravo!

John

Date: 04/22/14 21:23
Author: africansteam

Can't wait to see her at Niles Canyon in June!

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 04/22/14 21:30
Author: ChrisCampi

Looks wonderful! Look forward to seeing her and her crew in the Canyon in June.

Chris

Date: 04/22/14 21:41
Author: train671

Beautiful results and thanks to you all for your hard work and diligence. Will she run at MRSR?

Date: 04/22/14 22:51
Author: TonyJ

Looks great Stathi. Where's the key to wind it up? I'll make a special trip to see her under steam.

Date: 04/23/14 06:58
Author: YG

Thanks for the update, but most of all thanks to you and all who contributed to this effort.

You have much to be proud of, and we have much to be thankful for!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0602 seconds