Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steam Crews Gather Saving A Logging Mallet-Rayonier #8!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 06/01/14 04:10
Steam Crews Gather Saving A Logging Mallet-Rayonier #8!
Author: LoggerHogger

We have more good news to report in 2014! After being in retired storage for 50 years, Rayonier Mallet #8 is finally going to a new home for restoration.

Of the 45 logging mallets built by baldwin over the years, only 10 remain. Fortunately Rayonier #8 is among that small group thanks to 2 young men buying her 50 years ago and storing her over the years.

I have known the 2 partners who saved #8 from the scrappers in 1964 for many years now. We have talked over the years what would be the chance of getting #8 fixed up and running again. Over the past several months I contacted both of them again and finally was able to work out a deal to have #8 sold to Chris Baldo if Willits, CA so #8 could be restored back to operation.

We kept this quiet until we could gather our crews to travel to Chehalis, WA where #8 has been stored. The plan was to remove all the valuable parts to #8 and get other parts lubricated and ready for the final truck shipment to Willits. After that we sealed up the cab and generally have the engine secure and ready for shipment.

The steam community is a fraternity of folks who, like me, will lend a hand to anyone who is serious about preserving and restoring a steam locomotive like Rayonier 2-6-6-2T #8. Joining in this project to secure #8 for shipment were steam crew members from the following operations:

1. Roots Of Motive Power,
2. Oregon Coast Scenic RR,
3. City Of Prineville Ry,
4. Friends of SP 4449,
5. Chelatcie Prairie RR,
6. Chehalis-Centralia RR.

The first photo shows #8 just before we began our work on her. The tender is from Chehalis-Centralia #25 the "Big Jack". It is simply stored behind #8 and is not associated with #8.

In the second photo we see one of the 2 sellers, Byron Cole with Chris Baldo on the front of the engine.

I was glad after all this time that I was able to help get #8 on her way to the quality restoration that she deserves. A big thanks to all who pitched in to help us on the first phase of this very worthwhile project!

Martin

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/14 17:23 by LoggerHogger.

Re: Steam Crews Gather Saving A Logging Mallet-Rayonier

In the first photo we see Troy James in the cab getting read to heat some fittings on the engineer's injector for removal. New owner Chris Baldo looks on from out on the side tanks.

The scond photos shows Chris and Byron talking to veteran steam expert and all around gentleman, Harold Borovec about Harolds history with #8.

Finally we see Chris and the other seller Pete Replinger who stopped by to drop off some more parts for #8. Pete and Byron had purchased #8 back in 1964 from Rayonier for scrap value and had the engine barged out with the Rayonier Baldwin Diesels when the Sekiu operations quit in the early 1970's.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/14 04:56 by LoggerHogger.

Off goes the stack in the first photo. No only did we need to remove it for clerance, but the smokebox was getting weak in that area (actually it all needs to be replaced) and we took the stack off to protect her in the shipment.

Next we see Scott Gordon helping to remove the the fireman's injector for safekeeping.

Finally James from the Roots crew is up on top getting the dynamos ready for removal.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/14 05:11 by LoggerHogger.

We spent plenty of time (and lubricants) to oil all the parts and fitings on #8 that would be moved and removed during the disassembly in preparation for shipment.

Each of the parts removed from the engine was carefully tangged, wrapped and stowed for removal to Willits and Chris's enginehouse where #8 is headed.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/14 05:14 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 06/01/14 05:23

Here are a few shots of Rayonier #8 in "action".

The first was taken in 1997 when we were running former Hammond #16 at the Port of Shelton. Pete had to work and Roy Hill and I, the City of Prineville Ry steam crew, had come up to run #16 and interchange with the BN while Pete's diesel was down. At the end of the day Pete showed up and we oiled #8 and pulled her out to keep her joints loose.

The other 2 shots were taken by Al Farrow in 1963 as #8 was still in logging service at Sekiu.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/14 05:39 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 06/01/14 05:40
Author: jkh2cpu

Interesting and thanks for the report, Martin. Will this engine find service on the California Western?

John.

Date: 06/01/14 06:10

Here is how Rayonier moved #8 out of Sekiu in 1973.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/14 06:11 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 06/01/14 06:46
Author: thehighwayman

Congratulations and Thank You! to all involved in this project.

Without this kind of dedication, effort and care, too much of our history would be lost.

My hat is off to all involved.

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 06/01/14 07:52
Author: CPRR

Congratulations! We will be following this fine piece of steam as she is restored. Will it run on the Skunk line, or somewhere else.

Date: 06/01/14 10:12
Author: PasadenaSub

Great news and photos! Looking forward to seeing her operational.

Rich

Date: 06/01/14 12:50
Author: wag216

Thank you for sharing your photos and great news! wag216

Date: 06/01/14 14:35
Author: nycman

Thanks Martin, and all of the crew. Just offhand I'm trying to think of a true Mallet in operation today. This one already had two dynamos? What additional electrical appliances were they powering?

Date: 06/01/14 15:02
Author: fehorse1

A two-way radio.
Pete

Date: 06/01/14 15:31
Author: Realist

Isn't there an operating Mallet at Niles Canyon, and another in South Dakota?

Date: 06/01/14 15:33
Author: flash34

Correct.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/01/14 16:20
Author: patd3985

nycman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Martin, and all of the crew. Just offhand
> I'm trying to think of a true Mallet in operation
> today. This one already had two dynamos? What
> additional electrical appliances were they
> powering?

Black Hills Central runs an ex-Rayonier Mallet. I think it's the 104 or 114 or something close to that?...

Date: 06/01/14 16:23

Black Hills runs Rayonier #110.

Martin

Date: 06/01/14 16:26
Author: patd3985

LoggerHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Black Hills runs Rayonier #110.
>
> Martin

2 minutes later and you got me Martin! I was just on my way back to the thread to edit it! I had to go to their website to get the right number!

Date: 06/01/14 17:26
Author: wpjones

Okay while we're at it. How much difference is their between the 110 and the 8. I've been around the 110 quite a bit as a good Friend worked there for over 10 years and was very involved with the repair, maintenance and day to day operation of the BHCRR.
Steve

Date: 06/01/14 17:29
Author: flash34

I think, other than the water tank, just minor details.

Posted from iPhone

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0907 seconds