Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Steam & Excursion > Author Tom Lee passes on

Date: 07/19/14 10:16
Author Tom Lee passes on
Author: Bob3985

I received word this morning that Author, my good friend and honorary dad, Thomas Lee, passed away in Kansas. Tom and his wife Ann lived in Clay Center, Kansas where Tom had been the Bank President before retiring. Tom authored many books on a few railroads. The ones that I note are his set on the Rock Island, the UP Turbines West and UP M-10000 books. Tom was a charter member and director of the Union Pacific Historical Society. He would ride with me in the cabs of the Heritage locomotives. I remember one trip where the Road Foreman and I gave him a chance at the throttle of the E's on a Kansas trip. Tom was always Dad to me and Ann was definitely my honorary mom - always good for a hug.

Tom had recent surgery and was in an assisted living home while recuperating.
Tom and Ann will live on in my mind and surely will be missed by the rail historians.

Be at ease my old friend. And my sincerest sympathies to Ann and the family.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 07/19/14 12:02
Re: Author Tom Lee passes on
Author: chi-townadam

Wow that's a blow, I'm really going to cherish the copy of Turbines Westward he signed for me. Im also glad that I was able to keep in touch with him over the last couple of years. Travel well Tom and thank you for gracing us with your knowledge and passion for railroading!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/19/14 17:28
Author: frontier

Sad to hear that news, Tom was a class guy and always ready to help where he could. RIP friend!

Date: 07/19/14 22:31
Author: kennbritt

Bob,

My condolences to you and the family. Take care.

Ken Britton

Date: 07/20/14 11:56
Author: 4-12-2

Tom Lee was a consummate gentleman. I am honored to have had him as a friend for many years.

John Bush
Omaha

Date: 07/20/14 20:24
Author: wpjones

Thanks for the Great words Bob. Mike Conners told me of this earlier today. I remember when we stopped to pick him up on one of the "e" unit trips after he survived the fall from his roof.
Steve

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds