Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Steam & Excursion > Early Morning Train On The NWP At Manzanita, CA!

Date: 07/21/14 04:14
Early Morning Train On The NWP At Manzanita, CA!
Author: LoggerHogger

Here is a lovely shot taken at Manzanita, California on the Northwestern Pacific by Wil Whittaker. Manzanita is just north of Sausalito and today is the name for the Sausalito houseboat community.

The date is October 1938 and he has captured the bucolic scene wonderfully.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/14 04:17 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 07/21/14 06:37
Re: Early Morning Train On The NWP At Manzanita, CA!
Author: O_S_Jenks

That is a great photo; thanks for posting it. Those NWP ten-wheelers were certainly handsome locomotives.

Date: 07/21/14 08:32
Author: rob_l

I think "Photo by Martin E. Hansen" is a major disservice to Will Whitaker.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 07/21/14 08:54

Mr. Leachman, the caption was simply a mistake that I did not catch. You can see that I gave Wil credit in the body of the post.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/14 19:30 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 07/21/14 09:36
Author: CPRR

rob_l Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think "Photo by Martin E. Hansen" is a major
> disservice to Will Whitaker.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rob L.

Well technically is says "Martin Hansen Collection". That does not indicate that he took the photo, he just owns it in the collection......it would hold up in a court of law.

Martin, we need a book out of you please. Big coffee table one, heavy paper, chapters devoted to either the photographer, or the railroad, and with maps of each railroad.

Date: 07/21/14 11:04
Author: 2472Don

CPRR Wrote:
> rob_l Wrote:

> Martin, we need a book out of you please. Big
> coffee table one, heavy paper, chapters devoted to
> either the photographer, or the railroad, and with
> maps of each railroad.

Ditto! ... I would buy 10 copies immediately for birthday and holiday gifts. C'mon, Martin... get on it! (*chuckle*)

Don
San Francisco

Date: 07/21/14 16:42

CPRR Wrote:
> rob_l Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think "Photo by Martin E. Hansen" is a major
> > disservice to Will Whitaker.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Rob L.
>
> Well technically is says "Martin Hansen
> Collection". That does not indicate that he took
> the photo, he just owns it in the
> collection......it would hold up in a court of
> law.

He changed it from "Photo by Martin E. Hansen" after I complained. I am sure it was accidental. But it deserved to be fixed.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 07/21/14 19:19
Author: norm1153

It was clearly accidental. However, the post by the credits "challenger," when read, is confrontational. I'm sure that wasn't intended. But emotions are HARD to embed in the printed word. Perhaps by making the post slightly light-headed, or even some kind of introductory phrase such as "this may be accidental but..." or some such, the confrontational impact is reduced or removed entirely. Maybe just add a smiley? :)

I'm writing this because posting such a critique is a big influence in distracting and discouraging potential contributors, at which point we all suffer.

Now everyone is going to pile on me. :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/14 19:19 by norm1153.

Date: 07/21/14 19:27

Norm,

Thanks for your words of sound advice to all of us. Yes, the post by Mr. Leachman was offensive to me.

For Mr. Leachman to admit he knew the mistake was accidental but for him to then accuse me of offending the memory of my old friend Wil Whittaker (whom I credited in the body of the original post) was in extreme poor taste.

I had decided to simply blow off his rude post as a poor relection on him until I saw your post. I would not want you to get critcised like I did for your thoughtful post.

Martin

Date: 07/21/14 19:36
Author: wabash2800

I've seen other wonderful posts of this RR. Has anyone ever modeled the NWP well?

Date: 07/21/14 20:26
Author: agentatascadero

I think all this commentary about photo credits should have been handled by PM. I realize credits are serious business...but, especially in this case where a label was erroneously applied, the correction should have been done in private. Great photo, by the way. Looking at the consist of that train, I'm thinking I see 3 head end cars, 2 coaches, a diner (can it be?), and a Pullman on the rear. I'm not aware that The Redwood ever ran with a dining car, so maybe it was in snack-lounge service. AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 07/21/14 21:33
Author: TonyJ

The photo is also interesting in that in later years Wil didn't live far from that photo location.

Date: 07/21/14 21:49
Author: K6XLT

Out of curiosity, if i have the location correct, the area has since been completely filled in. The hill to the mid-ground, 101 is on the other side of it, no? Thanks.

Date: 07/21/14 22:45

LoggerHogger Wrote:
> Norm,
>
> Thanks for your words of sound advice to all of
> us. Yes, the post by Mr. Leachman was offensive
> to me.
>
> For Mr. Leachman to admit he knew the mistake was
> accidental but for him to then accuse me of
> offending the memory of my old friend Wil
> Whittaker (whom I credited in the body of the
> original post) was in extreme poor taste.

There was no accusation. Only an observation that it was a disservice to Mr. Whittaker. Like I said, it needed to be corrected. And it was. Why is that a bad thing?

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 07/21/14 23:01
Author: weather

Yes, Indeed, Will lived in Mill Valley up the hill behind the last car of the train. Will was very generous with his photos, along with logger hogger, I also have a number of pictures that Will gave me personally. I also had the good fortune of going out to shoot the NWP with him many times in the 90's and into the first part of 2000.. In 1997 I took him on one of his last trips up to Healdsburg to shoot the "new" Omnitrax ex-SP Black widow units. Here is my picture of Will on a hot summer day. The rest of Will photos are in the capable hands of Arnold Menke.

Date: 07/22/14 00:06
Author: sliderslider

cgarch Wrote:
> Out of curiosity, if i have the location correct,
> the area has since been completely filled in. The
> hill to the mid-ground, 101 is on the other side
> of it, no? Thanks.

Great pic Hansen thx for sharing. Whittaker took an absolute beauty!

Cgarch Whitakker is standing on 101 in this pic on the bridge over Richardson Bay. He's looking west. There is now a 75foot long trestle where the loco is about. It's the old NWP trestle (ties still there under the planks!) but now a bikepath bridge. A creek channel of same width runs perpendicular to ROW under this bridge and there's some fill on the near side of ROW. But there's still a lagoon to the west of the ROW. It is kind of marshy though, not open water as in this pic.

1: I'm looking north up ROW and the locomotive would be running toward me about where the bridge is.

2: I'm standing right under 101. Across the street is the Manzanita Parking lot. I don't know where the original station was located, but it was right around here. This is the location of very famous shot of a hyrailer station wagon full of NWP management leaving Sausalito in 1971 as seen in one of the NWP DVDs.

3: I'm standing right about where the back of the train was. You can see marshy ground on either side of ROW.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/14 00:12 by sliderslider.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0651 seconds