Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Steam & Excursion > White Pass & Yukon Suffers A Deailment.

Date: 07/24/14 10:01
White Pass & Yukon Suffers A Deailment.
Author: LoggerHogger

Unfortunately the WP&Y had a derailment yesterday with some of their older units. Fortunately the injuries were few a pretty minor. Let's hope they can get back operating soon.

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/skagwaycanada-train-derails-at-least-9-injured/27119300

Martin

Here is their press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July 23, 2014

The White Pass & Yukon Route Railway, headquartered in Skagway, Alaska, confirms that one of its scheduled scenic excursion trains partially derailed this afternoon near Milepost 20 northeast of Skagway. The location of the derailment is on a section of track that routinely handles thousands of passenger excursion trips across the scenic and historic White Pass & Yukon Route constructed at the turn of the century. The derailment involved two vintage locomotives and four passenger rail cars. Early reports indicate that there were multiple injuries, although none of them appear to have been life-threatening. “Any injury connected to our rail operations, whether to our passengers or our employees, is always considered serious” said John Finlayson, President of White Pass & Yukon Route Railway. “Although we have not yet identified the specific cause or causes of this incident, a thorough investigation has been undertaken, and all reasonable efforts will be made to ensure that safe operations remain the overriding focus of our workforce and management team.”
White Pass & Yukon Route rail operations have been temporarily suspended to allow its investigation to proceed and expert analysis of the cause to be completed. It is anticipated that rail operations will resume as soon as the company can assure the safety of its passengers and employees. “Safety is, and always will be, our number one priority” Mr. Finlayson

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/14 10:03 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 07/24/14 10:42
Re: White Pass & Yukon Suffers A Deailment.
Author: trainjunkie

This is probably a better forum for it but an active discussion was started yesterday over here ---> http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,3474468

Date: 07/24/14 13:24
Author: SD45X

"vintage engines"??? Geez, those were just remanufactured into state of the art locos....Looks like the south end of White Pass.

Date: 07/24/14 14:55
Author: Southern3205

I know it isn't good to speculate. Judging by the pics, looks like the diesels may have picked/split the switch?

Date: 07/24/14 15:57
Author: webmaster

I would like to hear how the railroad got everyone off the mountain. This was probably not the only train on the mountain as they typically fleet several trains at the same time. It is impressive operation with the amount of equipment and people they move each day.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 07/25/14 08:11
Author: Kimball

Any pics of the clean-up? My friend is curious, as he rode it just last week.

Date: 07/25/14 15:42
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

But, of course, another question is --- when will they resume operations to Whitehorse?

Date: 07/25/14 18:50
Author: NKP779

What about damage to the truly-vintage passenger cars?

Date: 07/25/14 21:18
Author: FrensicPic

CA_Sou_MA_Agent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But, of course, another question is --- when will
> they resume operations to Whitehorse?

They don't go all the way to Whitehorse anymore...Carcross is the functional "end of the line".

Date: 07/26/14 08:34
Author: SierraRail

Looks like train operations are resuming today. Both White Pass Webcams are operating this morning at Skagway. Three cruise ships in port today.

Date: 07/26/14 14:44
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

FrensicPic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They don't go all the way to Whitehorse
> anymore...Carcross is the functional "end of the
> line".

Yeah, I knew that. I wonder if there's any plans to resume operations to Whitehorse. The train was probably a big contributor to the local tourist trade.

Date: 07/26/14 14:48
Author: flash34

My understanding is no. It's too far to run a round trip in one day, so it's not seen as worth the trouble of re-activation.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/27/14 13:28

Almost nowhere to put a train at Whitehorse now. I posted some shots of the new riverfront being built in 2011. Not much room for a train in town now. The trolly runs on the main.

Date: 07/27/14 15:00
Author: wabash2800

How fast do the trains run on this section of track, 20 mph?

Date: 07/29/14 07:50

25-30 most of the way.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds