Home Open Account Help 399 users online

Steam & Excursion > Plane and Boats and Trains - 4 (Intermission)

Date: 07/24/14 14:12
Plane and Boats and Trains - 4 (Intermission)
Author: africansteam

We are about to move on to the Alaska RR portion of the cruise but since I did include Planes and Boats in the title I thought I would throw in a few of those at this point.

While anchored in Juneau, float planes were easy to shoot from the upper decks of the ship They consisted of de Havilland DHC-2 Beavers and DHC-3 Otters - shown here in no particular order.

On the ship side we have a recently blessed M.S. Westerdam leaving port. The had been delayed out of Seattle when she had to return to port for inspection following a fire in the engine room.

Lastly we have a Princess ship at sunset in the passage.

Back to the trains with the next post.

Cheers,
Jack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/14 15:10 by africansteam.

Date: 07/24/14 14:15
Re: Plane and Boats and Trains - 4 (Intermission)

More.

Date: 07/24/14 15:02
Author: Southern3205

First pic is a Beaver, the other birds are single Otters. A twin Otter is, as it's name implies, a twin engine version of the single. I got to fly as a CP/FE in a twin and their STOL capabilities are awesome.

Date: 07/24/14 15:10

Southern3205 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First pic is a Beaver, the other birds are single
> Otters. A twin Otter is, as it's name implies, a
> twin engine version of the single. I got to fly
> as a CP/FE in a twin and their STOL capabilities
> are awesome.

Right you are. I don't know why I put twin in the caption.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 07/25/14 06:57
Author: Alco251

Not just Otters pictured, but the sassy Turbo Otter, with screaming Pratt & Whitney PT6A replacing the round recip. The DeHavilland Beaver and Otter are said to be Alaska's state birds.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/25/14 07:26
The State Bird of Alaska
Author: Alco251

Mention of the DeHavilland Beaver allows me to pass along one of my favorite travel photos.

Here we are at Tikchik Lake, Alaska, hundreds of miles from cruise ships and tourists, as Mrs. 251 clings to one of the handling lines of Tom Schlagle's 1952-vintage Beaver. A storm is blowing in; our calculations show that the Beaver will be fully loaded outbound (including baggage in the floats), and we have another plane to catch at an airport about an hour's flight south of here. And I have already commented that the airplane and one member of our party share the same birthday year.

If I recall correctly, she is saying "Put the camera away and get the da@@@d plane loaded..." or something like that.

Ah, the wonders of Alaskan wilderness travel...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/14 07:28 by Alco251.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds